Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 8900
My Carrier: tmobile

Blackberry VPN capable without BES?

I have looked through countless forums and documentation and can not find any definitive answer as to whether or not a Blackberry smartphone can, via WiFi, can connect to a VPN without BES.  All documentation and How-To's point in the direction of BES to answer all my questions.

What I would like is a yes or no answer.  Does the Blackberry support VPN to a Microsoft VPN server via L2TP or PPTP without BES?  To be even more specific: Can I connect, without BES,  with EAP-SIM authentication via IKE-V2 protocol, via a VPN connection?

I actually have looked at a lot of the documentation and my gut feel is that it is not possible, but I need confirmation so that I can inform my company of the Blackberry's feature set and limitations.

thanks

Eric Gilbert

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry VPN capable without BES?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Not using the specific function you desire information on, I cannot answer specifically...but I can point you to more research data:

• KB13215 Virtual private network (VPN)
  • KB13469 Configure a VPN profile on the BlackBerry smartphone

Sorry if that is redundant...there's no way to know, from your post, if you've seen those specific KBs or not. You are also free to further search the RIM BTSC for KBs that might be even more relevant to your quest:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 8900
My Carrier: tmobile

Yes I read both of those and ones on PPTP (KB13999).  After re-reading I think I can definitely say that it doesn't support a non-BES VPN.   This line

Note: To be valid, the VPN profile created on the BlackBerry smartphone must match the VPN profile created on the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.

leads me to believe you have to have the BES.  I think Blackberry should have this in their marketing and specifications.  VPN enabled if you use Blackberry's BES.

Thanks for the help!

Eric

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Is this really true?!  Should we switch to other Smart phones if our company is not willing to use BES?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

the previous posts were from more than a year ago, I suggest you look for information today.

besides, apart from BES, your company can look at BES Express solutions too.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

I have checked everywhere and no luck!  I did go through the setup step for my BB and still can't connect Smiley Sad

My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: O2

I have the same problem.

I have a Bold 9780 and want to connect with the Wi-Fi of my University.
They use Cisco VPN to let students connect.

I have all the data, put them into my Bold, nothing works.
Read a lot in forums/on RIMs page etc.

It does sound as if RIM doesn't let you connect to private VPNs if they (who offer the VPN connection) don't use BES (and pay for it..).

Do you really need BES to use (private not corporate) VPN connections on BBs??
I mean seriously..?

I'm totally happy with my Bold, but when the iphone and other smartphones connect so easily to my Uni's VPN, then a BB should too, right. :/

But if anyone has connected to a VPN without BES (meaning only with BIS) please let me know!

Anything would help !

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: O5

I found perfect solution with SuperVPN. They sent me instructions how to set up VPN on my Blackberry and everything works fine.

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

this website seems serious, they declare supporting all the BlackBerry models even the most recent ones. kudos Amy Jonhston.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: