Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: XL

Blackberry bold 9900 browser and social networking doesn't work

Help I recently just bought a blackberry 9900 and the browser and social networking apps such as facebook and twitter doesn't work,I thought it was my data plan,so I tried to use my sim card on another blackberry device and it worked! I've tried to resent the service book and HRT but it still doesn't work on my blackberry 9900 Please help me solve the problem thank you
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry bold 9900 browser and social networking doesn't work

Please tell us how the apps are not working.  Do they open but very slowly, what error message(s) are you getting, etc.

Please post back and we'll do what we can to help you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: XL

Hey they do open but for example the twitter when I open it,it says "failed to transmit" and also I can't open the application world,it says that I have to upgrade my data plan but im on a data plan which should be able to browse. Thank you for your response
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

It sounds like despite what you think you might have as a data plan, there's something missing or it isn't set up properly.  I suggest a call to your carrier to confirm which plan you have and exactly what it includes.  I really don't think we can help you much further until you've confirmed your plan with XL.

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Visitor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Bip

Hi.

Did you risolve your problem with your bb? how did you do this? I have the same problem with my bold 9900,  everything that use browser as comunication (browser and social networking) doesn't work.

I contact my operator for my data plan, and they said its ok, but i need to configure on my cell, the acess point or browser configuration. Do you known how to do ii? or anyonw know it?

My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Mtn

Same problem with me. BIS activated for this sim card because it internet works well when I use t with other blackberries except my bold 9900. If any one has the solution we will appreciate he shares here.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

It sounds like these are cases of trying to use a BB on a network that does not natively support that specific BB model number. The carrier networks don't support every BB model...rather, each carrier chooses which specific BB model numbers they will support on their network. For those that they directly support, you can usually very easily transition your BB onto that network by simply inserting the properly provisioned (for BIS) SIM into a properly unlocked BB.

But, if the carrier does not natively support the BB model number, then getting that BB to work on their network is very tricky indeed. You must manually configure the TCP/APN settings:

• KB05327 How to set the APN settings on the BlackBerry smartphone

Ensure that the BB is properly registered on the carrier data network:

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network

But then still comes the hardest part of all. BBs function via Service Books. Service Books are delivered to the BB from the carrier data network -- but, again, usually only for those specific BB model numbers that the carrier supports on their network. If yours is not such, then you must gain access to another BB that does function on that carrier, extract the Service Books from it, and import them to your BB (via some very tricky procedures -- "legacy" backup/restore mode). And even then, there is no guarantee that things will work...it is quite tricky to get a non-native BB to function on a carrier network that does not support it.

You can check what models each carrier network supports via this portal:

That is a good indicator -- but not necessarily 100% on this point. Rather, the carrier must agree to allow your BB onto their network (after all, they own their network!) and further needs to confirm to you if your BB is natively supported on their network for both APN/TCP as well as Service Books. With that information, you can better decide how to proceed.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: rogers

Same problem with me, I have the social networking plan and i can't access facebook bbm and twitter without being connected to wifi the message that pops up is"No network connection". It was working fine until half way through yesterday

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

ruggergirl wrote:

Same problem with me, I have the social networking plan and i can't access facebook bbm and twitter without being connected to wifi the message that pops up is"No network connection". It was working fine until half way through yesterday

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given your description, you should try this. With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................