Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.
BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)
BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.
"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."
- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com
Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.
09-01-2011 03:37 AM
09-07-2011 06:25 AM
I've had my bold 9900 for 10 days and not only does it freeze and is dead slow but the battery life is shocking!! Im getting about 6-9hours and I'm not on it constantly!
How on earth anyone manages to squeeze 15hours out of it is a miracle worker! (Tips please?)
I have facebook installed but otherwise no apps or games....thoroughly disappointed!
09-07-2011 06:43 AM
09-25-2011 02:58 PM
Got the 9900 a few weeks ago and am not impressed.
It freezes constantly when I pull it out of its sleeve or when browsing web and so on.
Battery life is terrible.
Apps disappear completely after they've updated.
Only good thing is the keyboard.
09-26-2011 05:34 AM - edited 09-26-2011 05:47 AM
OK here is my story. Barely a few days after getting my new Bold 9900 (on Sept 19) I started to notice (i) very frequent freezes that were rendering the device close to useless as they were pretty frequent (even calling was a nightmare) and (ii) a ridiculous battery life of about half a day without much usage.
I couldn't recall whether it worked all right initially, so I got quite disappointed.
Yet today, it runs aboslutely fine: no freeze, actually very responsive and fast, and about 2 days of effective battery life. Same device.
So there is hope for you! Here's what I have done:
* I came to this forum and found this post with someone saying that he hald solved the issue with a full system reload.
* After looking around for how to do that, I found this post: How to reload your OS. Essentially you go there: BB system download, download the relevant .exe and run it (after having done a backup as all data will be wiped in the reload process - read above post for full details).
* For some reason it was very slow to download this file and it even crashed so it took a good 3 hours to get it. I finally got it but here's the good news, I actually didn't even need it
* Whilst I was waiting, I remembered that I had downloaded some apps and that I hadn't reboot the device even though I was prompted for it. I wondered if that was not what went wrong, so:
* I did a backup (didn't use it eventually, but good practice)
* I deleted all the downloaded apps
* Then I did a reboot, actuallly removing the battery for some time. Twice - don't know if would have worked the first time.
* And that was it, device working fine.
* I then reinstalled all the same apps, this time rebooting each time I was asked for. And actually installed further ones. No problem.
* The full system reload might also work, but you might want to try this lighter approach first.
My tentative conclusions is that it seems some apps may create issues if not properly download including reboot.
My recommendation, if you have such issues:
1/ Do a backup (not necessary for 2/ but might be for 3/ and 4/)
2/ remove the battery to reboot your device. Do it a couple of time.
3/ if not enough, delete the apps you downloaded and do 2/ again a couple of times
4/ if not enough try the full system reload as per above.
5/ then when you download new apps, reboot when prompted!!
Note 1: you need to do the manueal system reload (ie download the .exe above), as the automatic update of the BB desktop software only works when a new release is available. Doesn't work to reinstall the same OS.
Note 2: I'm running OS7 v. 1465
09-27-2011 05:58 AM - edited 09-27-2011 06:13 AM
In addition to the previous post:
You can also try a more refined approach even before removing the battery. If this works, you will also know which app was causing the problem.
* On a BB, pressing 'Alt' at the same time as the 'Escape' key (the key with an arrow doing a U turn, right of the track pad) will show you which apps are running.
* Keep the 'Alt' key pressed, use the trackpad to go to one of the running app.
* Release the 'Alt' key, and you're into the selected running app
* Once there, press the 'Menu' key (the one with the BB logo left of the trackpad), and chose 'Exit' or 'Close'. That should effectively kill the app. Often the app will even prompt you to confirm.
* Some apps may not be killed (e.g. phone...)
That may be sufficient if you had a specific app causing the freeze problem.
If anyone knows another way to kill running apps, happy to learn it.