Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

pOw
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry bold and maps

Basically, i'm just wondering if anyone has figured out, or has been told if the bold can get maps (either blackberry or google) and what has to be done to get them.

I read another thread about this but couldn't find a solution in plain english that worked!

can anyone shed some light on this situation?

New Contributor

Re: Blackberry bold and maps

what network provider you with mate? if with orange then you wont be getting BB maps, but google maps works fine with me and a lot of other bold users!
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Rogers

Newb here a bit confused.  I'm a Roger's Canada client in BC and we have the BB maps script running but google maps stand alone download won't even try and http-based search in google maps yields a return to the google home page screen.  What's the trick to getting the google app to run?  Does it offer satellite views or jsut the street renderings?
Contributor

I've got Google Maps running.  Following instructions from the BBS on the google Maps site:

download http://maps.google.com/gmm/apps/v2.2.3/L1/BlackBerry-42/GoogleMaps.jad  to your device and install it from the downloads folder.  It gives satellite view, etc but triangulation from cell phone towers is very approximate.  My BB9000 seems to always take a while to fix on the sats.  Maybe that's the delay on the googlemaps app too.

pOw
Contributor

I've downloaded google maps from their site using my bold before but everytime it loads it freezes at 10% and won't budge ... i tried the link mentioned above but did it onto my computer and can't copy it onto my device, so should i use my bold brower to do that? And is it different to the google maps that i've used which freezes? (i got that from m.google.com/maps on my phone)

Contributor

yes I would try to downlaod that link I showed directly to the device via the BB browser.  On my 3G network it took literally seconds.  This seems to bypass the barriers blockingthe other conventional methods.  I'm brand new to BBs but it seems these *.jad, etc files are BB-specific.
pOw
Contributor

Hmm ... still no luck - i guess i just can't get them, oh well! I'll have to make do without maps.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Hi, thanks for this link.

I had google maps installed the other day and could not get it to work, it would not go past 3%. I had downloaded the app to my pc from the google site.

Maybe the link you put up is a different version or something but it installed fine and worked straight away and is very fast!

Many thanks.

Kirk

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor

Just a guess here but maybe you should be sure you've wiped all previous versions/attempts to install google maps.  Not sure how but the earleir partial downloads may be blocking you.
Highlighted
pOw
Contributor

yeah, ok thanks - ill try that