Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry curve 8300 REM extention problem

I just got some music from my pc and put it on my phone and now it's sayin the "new" extention file REM and my pc wont recognize it. I checked the media card and the encription is not on. IDK what else it could be.,
Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Blackberry curve 8300 REM extention problem

.REM files are files that have been encrypted by the BlackBerry - which means you turned on "Content Protection" (Options --> Security Options --> Content Protection).

They can now only be opened and manipulated on the BlackBerry.  If you email them to yourself they should be decrypted and the .REM extension removed.

Unless you have sensative data on your media card, this is unnecessary as the device itself is sufficiently secure if you have the Password enabled.

If you do have sensative data on a media card, you should use Content Protection.  That said, be aware that this will NOT protect files copied to the card when it's connected to a computer and being used as a removeable drive.  Only data handled by the BlackBerry itself is protected.  For example, if you copy Sample.doc from your computer to the SD card using Windows Explorer, it will NOT be encrypted.  However, if you email it to yourself and save the attachment, it WILL be encrypted.

One finaly note.  The encryption key is tied to the device.  If the device is wiped, you may lose access to the data.

Jerry
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry curve 8300 REM extention problem

I verified in my content protection that it was disabled b4 my first post. I have used the same process to make ringtones this way b4 verified wasnt length of tones my putting into music folder to. Phone wouldnt attach any of the files to be emailed or mms'd.  Now the phone doesnt see any content on my mediacard at all. Says "a media card has been inserted with errors on it"  My pc sees the content when plugged into the phone but the phone doesnt see anything.