Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Blackberry keyboard and touch pad is frozen and stopped working?

[ Edited ]

I have phoned up my phone provider and they said to look at support 'general questions' on the area that I am having difficulty with: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=2766F987595B135C258AC4FEECAB3C98?...

However, because my keyboard AND trackpad are not working I cannot complete any of the steps because they all involve actually changing settings on the actual phone and this impossible (apart from the download softwear on my laptop one which actually didnt work) 

What do I do? Virgin mobile (who I am with) havent helped whatsoever.. and Blackberry are useless because I cant even find a number to phone them 

Any ideas? Thanks you! 

Retired
My Device: Q10/9900/9790
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry keyboard and touch pad is frozen and stopped working?

Hey El_H

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

The issue with your keyboard and trackpad not working sounds as if it is either related to a hardware failure or software malfunction.

In order to determine what is at fault your best option is to reload the BlackBerry 9320 Curve smartphone operating system (OS).

Please follow the steps below in order to reload the BlackBerry 9320 Curve's OS using BlackBerry Desktop Software on your Computer:

Note* You will need to first backup the data on your BlackBerry 9360 Curve smartphone to insure no data is lost in the reload process. To backup your device:

1. Click on Device from the upper left-hand corner of the BlackBerry Desktop Software and select Back up from the drop-down list, or simply click Back Up Now from the main screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

2. Mark the appropriate customization level as "Full".

3. Input a file name if desired, or leave the default text.

4. Leave the Encrypt backup file unchecked.

5. Select Back up.

Your next step is to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to update or "reload" your BlackBerry 9320 Smartphone operating system or "BlackBerry OS Software". In order to successfully complete this task please insure your computer system has an active internet connection and is running Window XP SP3 or higher. The following steps will help guide you through the reload process on your computer system.

If you have downloaded and installed the newest version of BlackBerry Desktop Software (7.1) please download it from the link below:

(Note BlackBerry Desktop Software can be found at www.blackberry.com/desktopsoftware)

To reload your BlackBerry device software:

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer using data USB cable and open the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

2. Type the BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK.

3. On the home screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click Device.

4. Click Update.

5. Click View Other Versions.

6. Select the latest version of BlackBerry Device Software.

7. Click Install.

8. Click Install Update.

Please reference the below Knowledge Base Article as it can be used to help better troubleshoot and understand the process described above using a Mac Computer.

Perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software on a Mac computer:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB19915

I look forward to your reply!

Goose947

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Visitor
My Device: BB 9320
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Re: Blackberry keyboard and touch pad is frozen and stopped working?

Hi, I have roughly the same problem as the original post. I've tried connecting it to the computer in order to reinstall the OS, and the Blackberry program appeared, but the phone failed to register because I can't select between "USB Drive", "Sync Media", or "Charge Only", though I was able to back up the data even with the dead buttons once before. The only button that works is the phone-down/power button.

I've tried countless battery pulls, several nights in a dehumidifying box with the battery out and blowdrying it in case there's any moisture, and trying to clean out the dust with an airbrush. On the computer, I've tried reinstalling the driver for the phone, as well as plugging it into the various USB ports to force it to rethink. There was a moment when the keyboard started working, but the trackpad was still dead. When I turned it off to reinsert my sim card (I have been using a backup phone for the past few days for obvious reasons), and turned it on again, everything died again.

But it's always the same thing. The Blackberry program pops up like it's supposed to, but it never recognizes the device anymore. It's really strange because it's as if it acknowledges that there's a phone connected, but it doesn't moments later. It only says "Connect your BlackBerry Device".

Help? Please?