Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Blackberry messenger on OS V 4.5.0.127. HELP!

Not sure what is meant by the generic RIM OS. Can he try to install the Cellular South one?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Cellular South does not have its own OS. It depends on the generic one.
Contributor

Just as a followup, our phone guy redownloaded OS 4.5.0.127 but made sure to add Messenger  and MemoPad (which was also missing) in the list of apps, so everything has worked out well. Thank you for all answers. Now if I can only get the GPS to work ... LOL

gary

New Contributor

Hi,

I have a Curve 8320, and I have recently tried to "upgrade" my blackberry messenger to v.5.0.  Unfortunately, after rebooting my blackberry, my blackberry messenger icon disappeared!  Does this mean v.5.0 is not compatible to my v.4.2.2 phone?   After checking in the applications folder, my blackberry messenger is on the list still, but I can't use it .

HELP!!!!
Elite I

michellehuilao wrote:
Hi,

I have a Curve 8320, and I have recently tried to "upgrade" my blackberry messenger to v.5.0.  Unfortunately, after rebooting my blackberry, my blackberry messenger icon disappeared!  Does this mean v.5.0 is not compatible to my v.4.2.2 phone?   After checking in the applications folder, my blackberry messenger is on the list still, but I can't use it .

HELP!!!!

I'm not sure of the system requirements of Messenger 5.0. So if you look in your Applications folder on your device do you see the icon? Would you want to try to update to OS 4.5 for your device?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor

System requirement is v4.5.  My 8320 has v4.2. I thought of updating my OS, but my fear is it might delete all the information stored in my phone.  If I choose not to update my OS, is there a way for me to install blackberry messenger again (v4.2.2.)???
New Contributor

When I look at my Instant Messaging Folder, the Messenger icon is not there.  When I look in the Applications Folder in the Advanced Options Menu, Messenger is there.  I asked my friend to try sending me a bbm message and I did not get his message.
Elite I

Ah. Well if the system requirement is OS4.5 then  you would have to upgrade in order to use Messenger. Also to downgrade back to the previous version you would have to run the Application Loader to downgrade.

If you're worried about losing your data you can always use the Desktop Manager's Backup and restore feature to make a backup of your device BEFORE running through the Application loader. Also when going through the Application Loader you can check the option to backup & restore your device's data. I'd recommend updating to 4.5

New Contributor

I want to upgrade to v4.5.. How do I do that?  Sorry, I'm new to all of this.....
Highlighted
Elite I

First download and install the Desktop Manager from here (5.0 without Media Manager is recommended): https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

Next download and install the handheld software from here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Afterwards try reloading the OS by connecting the device to your computer, open the Desktop Manager, then go into the Application Loader. This will open a wizard that steps you through reloading the OS onto your device. More detailed steps can be found in here:
http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os