Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry not connecting to computer

Ok, so I have read a few different posts on here and a few other people seem to be having the same problem that I am having but people either give them a stupid excuse or tell them they need more information, so here it goes, I am giving it all to you. 

I purchased a blackberry curve (i believe 8350, its nextel) and i had installed the software on my computer.  Everything worked great!  Then, I got a virus on my computer and had a bunch more problems so I decided to restore my computer.  (in the meantime i dropped my phone in water, so i got screwed and lost my info.)  I did not want this to happen again, so I decided to do the computer desktop again.  When I inserted the CD, I would get a blue screen and it would say my computer recieved an error and would have to restart.  So I decided to download from the website.  I downloaded version 5.0 (I have vista by the way).  When I connected my phone, I get the clock for about 3-5 secs, then it goes away.  I have tried many trouble shooting tech including the following:

Reinstalled the software

Hard reset on phone

tried my husbands phone (same model)

tried a different usb port (the one my mouse was plugged into and working fine, actually tried 3 different ports, and yes my usb port has power)

Tried a different USB cable

Tried my husbands computer which has a older version, and it worked fine.

So, down in the corner I have a icon that when I hoover over it, it says "disconnected- desktop manager".  I have went into options, selected USB (even tried the none option) and no difference.  I do not know what is wrong with this, but I really wish I could get some help.  Please do not respond to this post saying something like try a different port or usb cord, as you can see I have already done that.  I truely believe there is something wrong with the desktop manager that needs to be fixed, however I am not an employee of blackberry so I would not know for sure.  I would really like to get my phone connected to my computer so I can back up my files again.  If you don't know the answer, don't respond, otherwise any information that you have to help me would be GREATLY appreciated. 

PS.  I have seen numerious other post that basically say the same thing as I just wrote, so I know it is not just my computer.