Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Passport
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Blackberry playing people speaking - nothing was on

I was on my laptop with my earphones in and my phone was on but I wasn't using it. I paused what I was watching and came back after a few minutes. I hit the spacebar key to start it and heard something, I thought it was a pop up of two men speaking but it wasn't. I picked up my phone and it was coming from there.

I opened the browser app and  there were no tabs so then I clicked the blackberry button and there were no open apps other than the usual five. Two men, like a radio show, were talking about money or something. In my haste I turned my phone off and it stopped.

When I turned it on there was nothing else in my browser history other than what I had last gone on.

I then realised the Blackberry Protect, which was there when I bought the phone, was no longer there now, so I've just installed it.

What was it? A virus from a page I may have visited? Will it happen again?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry playing people speaking - nothing was on

MissyASM wrote:

What was it? 

Nobody can know for sure.

MissyASM wrote:

A virus from a page I may have visited? 

No.  Viruses don't do very well on BlackBerry devices (translation: there are none), so that wasn't it.

MissyASM wrote:
Will it happen again?

Nobody can say for sure but BlackBerry devices are the most secure smartphones on the planet.  If you ever get infected while using your BlackBerry, you're going to make history so I hope you're ready for the fame and attention.

I hope that sets your mind at ease.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Passport
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Blackberry playing people speaking - nothing was on

It kind of freaked me out when I heard it because I didn't even touch it and the speaking happened right when I started back on my laptop.

Do you think it might be a pop up even though nothing popped up...

Also do you think having Blackberry protect will ensure something like this won't happen again because my phone was on silent and there was nothing I could do to lower the volume except turn it off.

Sorry I'm a very cautious person and I love my phone, so I wanna make sure nothing like this happens again.