Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 9320 Curve
My Carrier: Orange

Blackberry services Norway

Hi,

I will be spending some time in Norway and I would like to know the what the best options are to keep using my Blackberry services.

I have a sim-free mobile and was with Orange UK so far but I am happy to switch because they said that it will not work in Norway so that I would have to buy a roaming plan and would be charged the standard rates, where is the point?

Can someone help?

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry services Norway

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With an unlocked BB, there are two basic choices.

1) Purchase, from your home carrier, an international roaming plan, covering the region/country to which you will travel. This will cost whatever your home carrier charges. This is the most "seamless" method for you as you don't need to do anything at all...everything will just work for you as presently configured on your BB. You will even be able to receive calls made to your home country mobile number. However, people in the destination country will have to call your home country number in order to reach you. Usually, this is also the most expensive option btw.

2) Obtain, at the destination, a SIM from a local carrier that supports your specific BB model. This point is critical BTW...the carrier must support your specific BB model number...if they don't, then your BIS services will likely not function correctly. Provision, onto that SIM, BIS services from that carrier and use that SIM in your unlocked BB. You may or may not have to reconfigure your settings (email accounts, etc.). Your BB will receive a totally new number from the destination country carrier, so the only way to receive calls made to your home country number is to put a forwarding on that (paying, of course, the required charges for that service, as determined by your home country carrier). This option is usually less expensive than option 1, but can be more complicated.

Again, the point of the carrier directly supporting your specific BB model number is critical for option 2. BIS services depend on the delivery, from the carrier, of the proper Service Books to the device. Most carrier networks will not do so for device model numbers that their network does not directly support. So, discovering a carrier at your destination that directly supports your specific model number BB is crucial to making option 2 simpler...otherwise, it can be quite complicated, and often won't work at all (for BIS services...non-BIS services should work fine regardless).

Note that this complication does not exist for non-BB smartphones as they do not use BIS...but BBs do use BIS, and hence you need to carefully plan how you will do what you need to do.

I have, in the past, traveled internationally quite extensively for business. In my case, the best solution was the international roaming plan on my primary BB, and using a secondary device (I happened to have a spare) with a SIM from a carrier in the destination country. That way, I had my home number for calls made to it, plus I had a local destination country number for dealings with people there. It's not elegant to carry two devices...but that's what worked best for me.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................