Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Blackberry torch status icon

wifi doesn't count against your data plan, but your plan costs the same whether you use it or not.  There are many things you won't be able to do if you don't have the data plan......e-mails, BBM, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: blah

Re: Blackberry torch status icon

@wejean ~ If you're connected via your BB data plan (the BB logo on your phone shows it's active/on), it's paid for via whatever you paid monthly for the plan for the amount of data given (2GB, etc). If you go over that limit, then you'll be charged extra.

If you're connected via wifi like at your local library or coffee shop, it costs you nothing. (There are very few places that charge you to use their wifi service nowadays; the ones that do can't just charge you without your consent first so it's no biggie -- you'd know if you're in such a place.) 

If you happen to be connected to the wifi in your own home (or in someone else's residence, or a neighbor with an "open" wifi), then chances are that the wifi plan they're paying for has a data limit, so you'll be using up that limit (just like any of your laptops, PCs, netflix streaming, etc. does), although it's usually a much bigger limit than your BB data plan. It's doubtful that you'd make a huge dent in their bandwidth usage.

Some apps allow you to change its settings so that you can tell it to use a wifi connection when possible, so that you can save on your data plan.  Don't forget that some apps constantly use your wifi or data plan connection even when you're not actively doing something on that app! These apps download the latest tweets, facebook feeds, or current weather in realtime or on a consistent schedule such as every 5 minutes. Personally, I just have them set to refresh/update when I actually open/use the app, except my weather app -- which is set to update at longer intervals because I don't need 5min updates on clouds moving across the sky. LoL