Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry will not sync

When i try to sync my blackberry 8120 to my mac i cannot get a connection, i have pocketmac installed and i've tried bluetooth trans but bluetooth says my device does not have the necisary services and pocketmac tells me it cannot connect to the blackberry, also i am having trouble with AIM it says that the phone does not have the service enabled.
Regular Contributor
My Device: 8300

Re: Blackberry will not sync

Hi!

I'm sorry to say that there isn't yet any Bluetooth syncing available on the Mac.  We've got this request on the top of our list. 

As for the PocketMac connection: you have one of the new devices that were released AFTER PocketMac was first posted. There is a solution for this. First, visit the download page: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/mac.jsp

and start the download process again. As you move to the download screen, select PocketMac V4.0.20b for BlackBerry. Then, on the next screen, you have two program choices to download.

You have probably already downloaded the first one, under the heading "PocketMac v4.0.20b for BlackBerry." If you have erased it, go ahead and download it again.

Since you have one of the newest devices (like the 8110, 8120, 8130, 8310 or 8330), you may also need to download the patch that allows you to connect to those as well. That patch is on the same page, under the heading, "PocketMac Driver update -- DriverUpdate.dmg."

TO INSTALL:
1. IMPORTANT: Disconnect your BlackBerry from your Macintosh. Quit PocketMac if it's open. This is important to "release" some files so the new patch will work.

2. If you uninstalled PocketMac for BlackBerry, reinstall the main program now.
3. When the installer is finished, you will be prompted to restart. DO NOT click the restart button.
4. Install the Driver Update file please, this installer will complete very quickly.
5. Finally, restart the Macintosh now that the software application and driver updater installers have been completed.

After the restart is complete, please launch PocketMac for Blackberry, then plug-in your BlackBerry handheld. Click the Sync button to begin the synchronization session.

---------------
Have a great day!
Anne M.
PocketMac Team
Direct support available for PocketMac for BlackBerry FREE at http://tinyurl.com/RIMsupport
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anne,

This DID NOT work for me.  I am a MacBook OSX 10.5.3 user, just purchased a Bell Canada Blackberry (BB) 8330 - OS v4.30.124.

I initially downloaded only the PocketMac (PM) software and only after frustration found your post.  I followed it once and was able to then see my BB (with the PIN listed) in status but syncing stalled at iCal.  I then removed PM and the files you suggested and reinstalled everything as per your instructions. Now I got my contacts but still stalling on iCal.  I disabled iCal and Tasks and everything to get the sync to finish without errors.  I cannot get ical or tasks to sync - the process ran all night with no results - I had to force it to quit.

Karl  Smiley Sad

Message Edited by kgingeri on 06-18-2008 01:54 PM
Message Edited by kgingeri on 06-18-2008 01:54 PM
Regular Contributor
My Device: 8300

Hi!  I'm sorry that you are still having a problem syncing the iCal calendar and tasks.  At this point, it's time to work directly with a tech who can find out why it is stalling.  What we typically do is have you set it to sync with iCal calendar and tasks turned ON, and then leave it an extra long time. (Maybe set it to run before you go to dinner, and then come back once the dishes are done to check it.) Once it appears to have frozen for good (and after that huge amount of time, you would certainly have a freeze...), don't quit it just yet:

First:  click on the Help menu, and choose System Report. This will make a file called PMSystemReport.txt on your desktop.  Once you have that, you can go ahead and force quit the program.  Then visit our support team by entering a Support Request here: http://www.pocketmacsupport.net. You can attach that PMSystemReport.txt file to the system report, and the tech will have a peek at what is going on "under the hood" in your Mac that might be blocking the data from syncing for you.  

Please do try that, and let me know how it goes! 

---------------
Have a great day!
Anne M.
PocketMac Team
Direct support available for PocketMac for BlackBerry FREE at http://tinyurl.com/RIMsupport
New Contributor

Thanks Anne!

I will do it and let you know.

Karl  Smiley Happy

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK Anne, I let this software run all night to no avail.  It has really messed up my contacts and calendar so I've quit trying to use it all together.  Sorry but I do not have time to trouble shoot it anymore.  Google's calendar sync works for me and is OTA which is even better.

There is a way to sync contacts by enabling a Google sync option in the Mac address book.  The 10000 address in the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist file has to be changed to 10001 and address book restarted.  Under preferences there is now a Google option.  This seems to be working also.  Goosync will allow you to sync both - for a fee.

Thanks for your help.

Karl

Message Edited by kgingeri on 06-23-2008 02:27 PM
New Contributor

In the 19 pages of threads on Pocket Mac many if not most deal with this subject.  I had tried all the "solutions" in this thread with no success.  At my wits end I went back to the Southdale  (Edina, MN) AT&T store to order an iphone.  The assistant manager who has a Blackberry and a Mac said he had no trouble connecting and offered to help.  

He solved the problem!! Yea!  Kudos to Josh Dagen!  

The solution was in the Connection tab of PocketMac.  Even though my Pearl was connected via a USB port, he chose the Serial Port option.  That enabled a drop-down menu that named my Pearl as an option.  With that selected the syncing went off just as it should.  I am now a less unhappy customer.

However, this problem and solution should be addressed by BlackBerry and PocketMac, not left up to us to dig through 19 pages of help topics.   

Thanks, this worked... the blackberry was synced via pocketmac through the serial port.  Now.. how does one transfer music / pictures to and from their blackberry / computer.  
New Contributor

I haven't crossed that bridge yet.  I just ordered a micro SD card, so when I install that I'll learn about transferring music and photos.  I'll post here again if there is any problem with the transfer.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Swalkers wrote:
Thanks, this worked... the blackberry was synced via pocketmac through the serial port.  Now.. how does one transfer music / pictures to and from their blackberry / computer.  

To be able to transfer music/pictures to your BlackBerry from your Mac, you will need a microSD card in it (you have to have a BB that supports microSD cards -- I think all the 83xx and 81xx series do). Then you can connect your BB via USB and transfer the files to/from it via Finder. More detailed instructions here:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11850