Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: b-and-you

Blackberry wont vibrate

Some jerk on ebay sold me a blackberry that he listed as being fine but doesn't vibrate.  It drives me bonkers that it doesn't vibrate and since I bought it on ebay I can't return it to the manufacturer and for the same reason there is no warranty.  I suspect that the phone may have water damage and that is why it wont vibrate but then today I did a battery pull because my email was acting odd and when I put the battery back in I received about 3 text messages and my phone vibrated with each and everyone one and then continued to vibrate for about 10 minutes before going out again. 

THUS, I must conclude that the vibrator motor didn't go which was my original assumption but then if it had gone and needed to be replaced it would not have vibrated randomly for about 10 minutes today.  So I was wondering if there was something else that might be causing this?  I read online that sometimes if a battery is bad and not strong enough that it could cause the vibrator motor to not vibrate because it isn't getting enough juice and that would explain why when I did the battery pull and put it back in maybe it was aligned just right that it got enough juice to vibrate.  

I'm hoping someone can confirm my theory or tell me something else that might be causing it to act crazy. 

Thanks bunches Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Blackberry wont vibrate

It's hard to tell if it's the battery or not.  You could just look at your battery level indicator and see if it's got lots of juice in it but what if your battery indicator is not accurate?

I'm going to suggest reloading the OS to your phone.  Doing this will make sure everything in your OS, including the software that displays your current battery level, is running properly.  I suspect this might solve your issue if you're still getting the vibrate function to act intermittently.

To reload your OS, you need to plug your phone in to your PC and open BlackBerry Desktop Software.  Once your phone has been recognized, click Device at the top of the software then Update.  Since you might not have connected this phone to BDS yet, you might not have many options for loading different versions of OS.  If a recent version appears, load it.  If it's not showing much, click View Other Versions if that is displayed and load the OS with Currently Installed beside it.

Have a go at that and keep us up to date on your progress.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: b-and-you

Re: Blackberry wont vibrate

I've already done that. It was my first thought.  So I updated the blackberry to the latest 7.1 and then saw if it changed anything which it didn't and then downgraded to the earliest 7.0 to see if it was a software glitch and it wasn't with both there was still no vibration so I re-updated to the latest 7.1.  As mentioned, I'm not a 100 percent sure if the battery is a good battery as when I received the phone all of the water damage indicators on both the battery and the phone had been removed.  I demanded a partial refund because the phone was more than likely water damaged because both indicators had been removed and I thought that the water damage had completely wiped out the vibrator motor but then today when it vibrated I realized the motor might be fine. 

So what your saying is that it could possibly be the battery?