Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blank white screen on Pearl 8100

I have a Pearl 8100 that I've had for 3-4 years.  A couple days ago, the screen turned white (no error message, no hourglass, no icons, just plain white).  I did a number of extended battery pulls with no luck.  When the battery goes back in, the screen just comes on white.

I removed the media card because one posting suggested that was the solution.  It didn't help.

I then completely re-installed the operating system, which did nothing.  When the phone came back on after the re-install, it was just a blank white screen again.  I did a battery pull after the re-install as well, but it is still just a blank white screen.

The phone does work because if I hit the right buttons, it will dial out and it will ring to receive a call (actually it vibrates becase that seems to be what it was set on.  I can't change that setting because I have no display, other than a blank white screen).

Please advise

My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: Blank white screen on Pearl 8100

Hey TAdvisorKing

If you have completed a software reload and you are still seeing the same issue then it would appear to be a hardware issue and you will need to contact your service provider for options. 

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blank white screen on Pearl 8100

Thanks, Smooth. 

The Pearl is my former corporate plan handset that I've handed down to my son, which we're using on a pay-as-you-go plan with Rogers.  I can barely get Rogers to answer the phone (in fact, they have a separate support phone number for pay-as-you-go customers vs. monthly plan customers and they don't staff the call centre on weekends for the pay-as-you-go support number), so I'm highly doubtful that they will give me technical advice on manually repairing the handset.

I did come across one posting for a non-pearl that involved taking the phone apart and using electrical tape to insulate some solder points that the poster claimed were causing his phone's scren to short out with the same "all white" result.  I'm sceptical that the effort will be worth it and I'm similarly sceptical that if I take it in for service that the $50 or whatever they charge me for repairs won't be better spent on a new phone.  He was really just using it to phone and text.  In part that was because we were having other problems with certain apps not working, the Appworld app disappearing (the icon wasn't hidden, it just disappeared even though the app remained on the list of installed applications).  I'm usually a big fan of "repair rather than replace" -- just on principle, even if that sometimes means it costs almost as much to repair.  Too many things are treated as disposable.  But sometimes you have to cut your losses and move on.

But I appreciate the message that seems to confirm, at a minimum, that the problem is likely a hardware rather than software one.