Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blinking Hourglass all the time when using my Blackberry!

Hey Guys I've searched all over and nobody seems to be able to solve this one.

My Blackberry 8130 has all of a sudden startred shoing a constantly blinking Hourglass.  I can use my Blackberry but it seems to be a bit bogged down buy the constant blinking of the hour glass (IM pretty sure it's not getting my email either yet all other online functions work.  Here's what I HAVE done...

- I have shut down all apps running in the background except the five that always run

-  I have removed the battery waited for awhile and put the battery back in.

- I have over 17 megs of free memory

I've removed any third party Apps and it still blinks away.... VERY annoying.

Any ideas on how to fix this guys?

-Gregg

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: Blinking Hourglass all the time when using my Blackberry!

Download the latest OS from http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp depending on ur carrier.

Install to your device using desktop manager.

1. Navigate to http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp and select the appropriate service provider's download page.
  2. Select the appropriate BlackBerry Device Software and save it to a computer.
  3. If BlackBerry Desktop Manager is open, close it.
  4. Install the BlackBerry Device Software. For instructions, see KB03621.
***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
New Contributor

Sadly I did this too and she's still blinking away and now after having woken up this morning I've noticed it's eaten through a full charge sitting 'idle' (Except of course for the blinking Hourglass) in about 6 hours and it is most certainly not getting my emails.  This isn't good.

I've googled this issue and found the problem several times with other people, but have yet to find anyone with an actual solution.  Is there a way to 'format' my 8130 and start completely from scratch?

Sorry for the hassle guys...

-Gregg

I'm having exactly the same problem and it is driving me crazy, the hourglass went away today but the phone is going through it's whole battery life in a day, without any calls being made, and is not receiving any emails. Am so frustrated I'm contemplating sending it back and cutting my losses!

I have the SAME problem, and my BlackBerry's less than a month old.  Hmmmm.... seems like a lot of this going around in the last few days!  I found similar postings for some bigger BlackBerrys here on the boards, and didn't seem like a lot of solutions for them, except going to get a new one.  Man, I hope not!

Anybody know what's going on??? 

New Contributor

Well the only way I got to fix it was to back it all up and wipe the Blackberry to factory presets then restore.  Doesn't seem like anyone knows how to solve this problem with any other method.

-Gregg

New Contributor

[ Edited ]
i'm also having the same problem.  the hour glass is draining my battery, without any phone calls, text messages, etc. and its getting annoying.  this just started yesterday and no one seems to know how to fix it.
Message Edited by paparonnie on 09-13-2008 03:16 AM

I was looking up this same problem...because I had it on my 2nd blackberry that I got within a one month period. I found that if you delete the facebook application (because if you have facebook you know that it changed over to a new setting, causing issues) and then restart your phone..take out battery...then it should work. I did that and next thing I knew the 18 emails I missed appeared. I haven't reloaded the facebook application yet, but I was told that you can and it should work fine.

Hope this helps!  

New Contributor

When my 8130 stopped receiving email & couldn't access the internet I called my carrier (Verizon).

They downloaded the service books to the phone which resolved the problem & said this can only be done

by the carrier, not the user.

New Contributor

"When my 8130 stopped receiving email & couldn't access the internet I called my carrier (Verizon).

They downloaded the service books to the phone which resolved the problem & said this can only be done

by the carrier, not the user."

This is not really the same problem.  Loss of Email is only one a few possible problems that occur from the blinking Hourglass and getting new service books doesn't fix it (I know, i went down that road).  I never lost internet function either.