Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Bluetooth: Blackberry Device Manager -OR- "Bluetooth Devices" in Control Panel?

I'm a BB newbie but computer savvy user who is slowly finding the pieces to the overall concepts of how my Blackberry fits in with USB, Bluetooth, local apps, e-mail servers etc.  (Any links to BB concepts rather than step-by-step instructions appreciated!)

Here is my current issue: to connect my BB to my PC via Bluetooth it seems there are two places I can do it: either in the "Bluetooth Devices" item in the Windows Control Panel -OR- in Blackberry Device Manager on the Device Connection tab with the "Configure Bluetooth" button.

Both of these bring up very similar windows which allow me to "Add" a Bluetooth device, but they are clearly different apps.  What is the difference?  Are they for the same purpose? Or do they do entirely different things such as connect headsets to BB vs. connect BB to PC?

(Vista Business 32-bit; Dell D630 with BT; BB 8830) 

Thanks,

Ian

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8320, 8120

Re: Bluetooth: Blackberry Device Manager -OR- "Bluetooth Devices" in Control Panel?

Hi ianw.

Here is a link for you to look over:

Set up Bluetooth connectivity with BlackBerry Desktop Manager

There really isn't an option to pair the device in bluetooth devices or BlackBerry device manager, you must first pair the device with the computer using the Bluetooth devices option in control panel, then you set the BlackBerry device manager to use that Bluetooth connection to communicate with the Desktop Manager.

The KB I linked provides you with step by step instructions.

Cheers!

Contributor

Re: Bluetooth: Blackberry Device Manager -OR- "Bluetooth Devices" in Control Panel?

Thanks for the help Bolder. It is good to know that the Ctrl Panel is indeed the place. The explanation of the "Procedure" in that link enlightened me on what "wireless bypass" is - a painfully obvious concept once you know it, but until then it is a meaningless term!

But my Bluetooth quest remains incomplete. In Windows "Bluetooth Devices" my BB appears "passkey enabled" and "Connected". The icon in the BB shows a BT conection and my PC shows up as a paired device on my BB. So far so good. (During setup Vista was unable to find 2 drivers, which is apparently normal!)

I had previous synced my contacts via USB. Now when I try to sync (or even just configure sync) via BT using BB Desktop Mgr 4.3.0.17 a popup flashes in the center of the screen and is replaced by an error box titled "Intellisync"  and the message "Unknown error reported".  Now when I go back and try the USB it does not work, and gives the same message!

I'm left wondering if this is a BB software issue, Vista issue, BT or what.  Any advice appreciated ... meanwhile I need to comb the forums here. Argh.

--Ian

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8320, 8120

ianw

For the unknown error reported check this KB.  With windows Vista, disabling UAC normally fixes the issue.  Something to try if the KB does not work is click the reset configuration button (synchronize, configuration tab)

Cheers!

Contributor

Thanks Bolder for pointing me to what should have been the obvious result of some diligent searching.

For me disabling UAC was the required (though unsatisfactory) solution -ahem- workaround. (To me UAC is an important security feature - I know others may disagree, and that is fine. Let's not digress.)

With a little persistence I discovered that if I first launch Device Manager "as administrator" and then launch Desktop Manager also "as administrator" (i.e. right-click on the start menu icon and choose "Run as administrator) then it works and I no longer get the Intellisync "unknown error". I have DM 4.5.0.15

Cheers,

Ian

Contributor

Rats. It is not so simple.  While starting the two apps as administrator works initially, reconnecting by BT after the connection is ended (perhaps by taking the phone out of range, or the PC sleeping) does not work.  Reverting to turning UAC off avoids this problem.

I look forward to proper Vista support for BlueTooth. Vista has been out long enough that RIM should have this resolved, rather than simply reverting to XP's less secure architecture.

Highlighted

Hi,

I have jst bought a BB 8320 curve,i am facing few problem to handle the device.

1) I paired the device with Nokia phone but not able to transfer the Songs from it. kindly guide me on this.

2) I am not able to Switch off the Bluetooth.

Priyank