Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Bluetooth low volume issue

All --

Since early 2008 I've chased this through a number of Bluetooth headsets and a number of BB devices (Pearl, Curve, Storm, Tour) as well as a number of customer and technical care calls (Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, RIM, Hello Direct, Jabra, and Plantronics) and I feel certain that RIM could improve the audio volume settings on their devices and make a lot of folks we talk to from our RIM/Bluetooth combos happier.

The "Bluetooth low volume" issue was best summed up by a tech from Hello Direct who told me "If I had a nickel for every time I've talked to someone with a Blackberry and Bluetooth headset I wouldn't have to work here any more."

The carriers I've talked to (T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless) say this is not a "known issue" (as expected), and yesterday a tech from RIM made the same claim. The only settings we users can change on a BB (boost treble, turn up the volume) aren't good enough, and using the speakerphone while driving means you have to hold the device close to your face and risk some cop's perception that you're breaking the law.

Best scenario is an ambient-noise-free environment calling a land line; worst is while driving to another BB/Bluetooth combo.

Not a great situation.

As a group, we can help convince RIM to make a design change. At the very least, upping Tx/Rx volume for Bluetooth headsets would be OK; giving us a setting we can control that does so would be better. It's going to take literally hundreds (or maybe thousands) of us calling in to move this mountain, but it can be done, and I encourage everyone to pass this along far and wide and call your carrier(s) and/or RIM to help create some awareness for what's needed.

It's worth the 15 minutes that it will take to make the call -- and be certain you first use your Bluetooth headset when you speak to them, then cut to the handset part way through when they say they can't hear you.

New Contributor
My Device: 8330 Curve

Re: Bluetooth low volume issue

might give this a read I'v heard similar statements from others about this issue. try one of the approved headsets and see if you still have the issue http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB04009
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I've tested the Jabra and Plantronics lines -- both manufacturers' headsets have the issue but Plantronics is marginally better
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

if I recall correctly, you have an "Audio boost" available on devices with an OS 4.5 or higher.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: