Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
Accepted Solution

Bold 9000

Bought a bold 9000 about a month back, new and pre-unlocked from ebay.
Having a few issues now. The internet shows connected but can't load any pages. Edge appears in lower case. Blackberry icon not displayed. Moreover, cannot access maps or gps.
On carrier cellone.
Please assist.
P.S. Country - India.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9000

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

There's nothing to add to your BB per se. Using the BB-specific services is a matter of your carrier providing those to you. And there are some things that must happen for them to do so.

Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. So take a look at all of that and decide how you wish to proceed. Most folks wind up just buying a new BB if 5b applies.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you... My provider does support the model and all BlackBerry services as well. Will apply for subscription soon.
New Contributor

But still... Why doesn't the BBMaps application even show up? I cant even find a proper google maps application for the bold 9000. Morever, mine's seems to be running os 4. Upon checking for updates after connecting to desktop suite, it shows no updates available. I do believe bold 9000 is compatible with atleast os 5.
Any suggestions?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

CLDas wrote:
Morever, mine's seems to be running os 4. Upon checking for updates after connecting to desktop suite, it shows no updates available. I do believe bold 9000 is compatible with atleast os 5.
Any suggestions?

Yes...you will need to override the "automatic" process and force the OS level you desire onto your BB, likely from a carrier other than your own. After you have done this (and perhaps as part of doing so), you should be able to obtain the add-on apps you desire (normally via BBWorld). The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below.

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

6a) For changing your installed BB OS level (upgrade or downgrade), you can launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC.

6b) Or, for reloading your currently installed BB OS level as well as for changing it, bypass the Desktop Software and use LOADER.EXE directly, by proceeding to step 2 in this process:

If, during the processes of 6a or 6b, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you. Will try first thing tomorrow morning.

P.S. BBCommunity is unbelievably helpful with all the active members. Hats off... Wasn't expecting such detailed and prompt replies.
Hall of Famer III

You are most welcome, and the kudos and kind words are greatly appreciated. As you know, this is a completely volunteer-contributed community, and we strive to make it the best available anywhere for BB users to receive the assistance they need.

Good luck!

New Contributor

Followed all steps.

(Not sure if i had any older OS preinstalled, but i didn't install any OS previously on my PC).

Downloaded v5 from the download site.

Installed it sucessfully.

Followed all the steps.

But the step 6a) Failed.

Failed in the sense that BB Desktop S/W didn't offer me the update.

Tried 6b) The loader doesn't offer the newer OS or the apps that come with that. No changes made, just my app data on BB got wiped. Had them backed up so never mind.

Did some poking here and there. Found the v5 folder. It did contain several apps in .alx format. And in another folder, several .cod files. I presume they must be the v5 system files.

Launched loader again. browsed to this directory. Selected one of the new .alx files. Error displayed: "Not compatible with your device."

I guess this means OS5 didn't get installed after all.

What to do? Do you think activation of BIS can help this condition in anyway?

New Contributor

Another thing..

After the phone got restarted, an email message came from three which is guess was the earlier brandname of Vodafone in Australia. The message welcomed me and stated "Blackberry Internet Service is now ready to use."

Does this mean my device is still locked to that carrier? How do I find out? If that might be the possibility, how am i able to use my BSNL India SIM card on the device?

Hall of Famer III

If 6a fails to offer you an update automatically and 6b fails as you say, then the OS package you have installed to your PC is being ignored, and you did not successfully override the "automatic" process. Typically, this is because:

• You have no valid BB OS package installed to your PC (e.g., what you installed is for a different model number)
  • You have more than one BB OS package installed to your PC (which can confuse the loader process)
  • You have no BB OS package at all installed to your PC
  • You have a valid package installed to your PC, but did not delete the required VENDOR.XML file(s)

Those are the typical reasons that the process would fail to override the automatic method...and, from what you have said, that's what it sounds like happened...for one (or more) of those reasons, whatever you tried to install to your PC was ignored.

CLDas wrote:

Another thing..

After the phone got restarted, an email message came from three which is guess was the earlier brandname of Vodafone in Australia. The message welcomed me and stated "Blackberry Internet Service is now ready to use."

Does this mean my device is still locked to that carrier? How do I find out? If that might be the possibility, how am i able to use my BSNL India SIM card on the device?

That is quite interesting indeed. It could indeed mean exactly what you fear, and until that prior carrier releases the BB PIN from their BIS system, your carrier will not be able to deliver you any BIS services. Refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

All steps must be completed, and there are several steps in the Seller area that only the actual account holder at that other carrier can conduct -- e.g., typically, the carrier will only accept a PIN release request from their actual account holder, which is not you.

I fear that you may indeed have purchased a device that you will never be able to fully use. You may want to contact the seller to see what they are willing to do.

Good luck!