Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: CSL HongKong

Bold 9700 Unlocked - cannot set peronal email and WIFI services

Hello there,

I acquired in Hong Kong the BB Bold 9700.

I was told it is not a locked phone, and that I should be able to use it where I live.

Indeed, as a phone, it is not locked, and I can do all phone functionality.

However the following functions are not available and I wonder how to fix it:

1. when I try to set email accounts, it only lets me the option to set enterprise server based email accounts; it does not let me the option to set Internet based personal accounts as appear in the manual
  2. I am also unable to use the device over WIFI networks; I can register them, connect and set them, but the actual browsing over the connection is not possible

Any idea what can I do?? I feel misled since I paid the full price, and while the phone is indeed not SIM locked, the other functionalities are not available (and no one buys BB for phone only...)

Pls HELP....

Many thanks in advance!

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bold 9700 Unlocked - cannot set peronal email and WIFI services

1. You need THE BlackBerry Data Plan added to your mobile provider account, to get the BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) and personal email setup icon. That icon comes only after the device has been registered (connected to) the BIS account.

2. On the device, go to your Options icon > Advanced > Browser. Set the browser to Hotspot and save.

Now you can use the browser only for WiFi internet surfing.

Call your local carrier about #1, if they offer BlackBery service, you will be ok.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the prompt support.

Re 1: I understood, but what bothers me is that the enterprise email set up is available and the personal isn't and together with 2 below it makes me think that the device is blocked for data services.

Re 2: the browser is automatically set to hotspot and it does not let me change it; when i click on it I get a black rectangular on that option and when i save it, it disappears, but that sole option remains. yet - i cannot browse or connect to WiFi (and itried with and without the SIM and with and without the Mobile netowrk connected); per my comment on 1 - my concern is that the carrier might have blocked it so users will only use it on their own WiFi service (which is defined by default on the device)

Any insight here?

Many thanks!

1. No, this is normal, to see the BES enterprise option right out of the box.

Nothing is blocked.

Does your carrier offer BlackBerry service? That's your main concern.

2. So, IS your device connecting to WiFi? What is shown on the Manage Connections screen?

WiFi is checed and do you see your WiFi router name beside it, and then a green check mark, white dash or what?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

1: ok - my carier does offer WiFi service on older device versions

2: WiFi is checked, the netowrk name appears and there is a white dash. The WiFi logo is in grey (and not white) and when itry to connect i get the comment about IP problem and the brwoser would not start (even when i changed it from BB one to Firefox). All other devices connect to that WiFi with no problem. The Browser hotspot is, as i described above. the only option.

3. one more related question: if i subscribe to the data plan, can i use all services on WiFi only and avoid the extra (HIGH) data cost of the wireless provider?

Many thanks for your kind help.

ryys, does your carrier offer BlackBerry Data Service? That is the question.

I don't care if they offer WiFi service, that is not related here.

Set your browser emulation to BlackBerry, try that.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

1. sorry - it was a typo; i meant that they do offer data services for BB

2. the WiFi service does not work in any case; do you mean that it will work once i subscribe to a data plan?

thanks

2. ok , can you try a different WiFi spot and see if you can get it work... because it should.

The WiFi Hotspot browser should work even if the SIM card is removed from the device.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Bold 9700 Unlocked - cannot set personal email and WIFI services

Im having the same problem. Bought my phone yesterday brand new unlocked and I have a data plan but browser wont work. Also I can't change it from hotspot browser, I get the same rectangle around it but nothing.

Also I can't change my personal email. It only has that one ryys is talking about. Anything I can do???

New Contributor
My Carrier: DU (UAE)

Hello,

I am facing the same problem. I live in UAE and purchased an unlocked BB 9700 with a service provider's data plan. However, i tried using the sim card of another provider and the phone does not even let me into the browser page. I click it and it remains static. I can still use voice and sms services but I am concerned by this non availability of WIFI with another sim card. Any suggestions as to how can i figure out if the phone is blocked or not. Secondly, can i use wifi with a sim card which does not have a data plan. really concerned; swift response would be appreciated