Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: DU (UAE)

Re: Bold 9700 Unlocked - cannot set peronal email and WIFI services

Is it also possible that when they say unlocked it means the phone is unlokced only for voice and sms services but not for using internet be it either through wifi or blackberry data services of some other provider....

I also tried using wifi without any sim and it worked perfectly. I am seriously beginning to feel that you cannot use email or internet if you insert sim of any other provider....please do share your views

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700

Hi, I am facing the same problem with respect to point no 1. I understand, in order to get my personal ac setup I need to activate BIS from my carrier. However, my carrier does not provide BIS. My WiFi works fine, can I not set up an personal email ac by using WiFi only? Thanks, Huzaifa
My Device: bold 9700

I've just purchased an unlocked Bold from Amazon and hgave exactly the same problem.  Does someone have a real solution?

Regular Visitor
My Device: 9700 bold

I am in the UK and have been given as gift a fully unlocked Blackberry 9700 Bold. Transferred my Virgin  sim card which is PAYG and all works well as a phone and I can use my home or other hotspot Wi-Fi to go on the internet and I can use the Virgin network to get online if away from the Wi-Fi.

The one thing I cannot set up is any personal Email option only getting the Enterprise option showing.

Been in contact with Virgin and they say that unless the phone is bought from them they cannot set up any access to the Blackberry service.

Is this true or somebody not fully knowing their job.

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

This might be because your phone is not unlocked in a correct way!!
i suggest you to visit a genuine site who unlock blackberry bold.

I faced the same issue but when the phone got unlocked in a correct fashion i was able to set up my email and wi-fi connection!!

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

I have heard that this will solve your problem if you want wifi but do not have a date plan.

After much to-do, I found that Wiggler was correct.
I have the Wifi working without the data plan on the Bold 9700.

I needed to access "Mobile Network" configuration in Settings and set "Data Services" and "While Roaming" to ON. (This is somewhat anti-intuitive since it appears that you are explicitly accepting the usage of a blackberry or phone company's data plan -- not true.)

It was once I made those changes above, that the phone was able to assign an IP address from my home router. (Before such time, the phone showed me indeed connected to the router, but it didn't actually assign an IP address.)

After I set the default browser "Hotspot Browser" in the "Browser Configuration" menu, I was pretty much set.

It's worth noting that the WiFi icon in the upper right hand corner is STILL gray, opposed to white as some others have claimed. (It turns white if you are actually using a data plan.)

Hope this helps someone.

Gideon.