Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: DTAC

Bold 9700 Won't Boot, Want To Backup Data Before Format

Hi All,

I own a Bold 9700 and recently it freezes quite often. Yesterday I left it in some warm temperature for a while and now I discovered that it cannot be booted. It does turns on, and then tries to load the OS (it displays that screen with the BlackBerry logo and the loading bar) but the loading bar just go to about 1/10 and then the BB restarts itself again. It goes like this for an infinite loop.

I went to several vendors and they all said the only solution is to format it. But then I would lost my customers contact numbers (in my Phone Book) and some of important information (written in the Note Pad).

I would like to back up these data before formatting.

I have tried connecting it to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. It sees the BlackBerry, but the connection isn't completed. I think for it to work, the BlackBerry must be fully booted.

Anyone has a suggestion?   Thank you very much ahead for your kind help!

-PL

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Bold 9700 Won't Boot, Want To Backup Data Before Format

Getting it to connect to BlackBerry Desktop Software is probably your best bet.  From there you can do a data backup and reload the OS if you so desire.

If your phone is being stubborn and won't connect to BDS, have a look at this article for some ideas:

www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10144 .

I hope that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: DTAC

Re: Bold 9700 Won't Boot, Want To Backup Data Before Format

Hi BillJ,

Thank you very much for your fast reply. 

My BB won't connect to the BDS, since it can't fully booted up, so, I read the article at the link you provided.  However, the procedure in the article seem to "delete either all data, or all data and applications on the BlackBerry smartphone".  Therefore, I would still lost my data. 

Do you know any other way to back up the data, even when the BB can't be booted up?  Ideally, I would like to:

1.  Fully back up the data before doing the software update (which will clean up all internal memory of the BB)  , OR

2.  Have some way of ensuring that after the software update, I have a way to recover the formatted internal memory data.

Thank you again for your kind help.

-PL