Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Bold 9700 and periods in URLs

I use a custom application for dictating into my Blackberry, I have just received a brand new Bold 9700 with OS 5.0.0.321 and am having difficulty setting the application up. It requires me to enter a URL with spaces in it, but every time I type a space it inserts a period - can the device be stopped from doing this?

I have even typed the URL into an email and then tried to copy and paste it into the app, but it fills the spaces in with periods still when I paste.

The URL I need to use is http://myserver/mobile web service

it keeps on entering as http://myserver/mobile.web.service

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + 64GB MicroSD
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Bold 9700 and periods in URLs

Are you sure you don't need underscores or something - you can't have a URL with embedded spaces...

If this is something specific to the application - I'd suggest you contact them for their guidance as it may not be ready for 5.0

(just a thought)

peace and love
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I'd concur with rocman on this.

I don't know that you can have URLs with spaces.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks rocmon, but I am sure, we have about 40 Blackberrys and they're all set up in the same way. It's a sub directory for the application on the IIS server called 'mobile web service', not the best piece of programming I've come across!

Have tried contacting the software providers and my carrier and they've both suggested that it's a Blackberry issue and have washed their hands of the problem.

I think you're right though, the app couldn't have been tested with 5.0 (even though they said it should work).

Just wondered if there was any way to insert a space without a period.

Developer

if you are into the trying stuff mood, i'd try using various combinations of ', " (single or double quotes) instead of the space - the app may be bright enough to use the quotes as delimiters perhaps?

I'm curious, what app is it?

peace and love
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Steve, as workaround, can you try this:

Email yourself the link in an email to your BlackBerry device.

Click on the link from there, it should open.

Then save the bookmark for future use.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Rocmon, It's Winscribe's digital dication for Blackberry software http://www.winscribe.com/blackberry/winscribe_blackberry.asp

JSanders, good ideas, but the quotes thing doesn't seem to work and I need to actually type the URL into a field in the Winscribe software on the device. As I think I mentioned earlier too, copying and pasting doesn't work either.

I'm just waiting for the call advising me I need to upgrade to Winscribe 4 if I want to use the device. Typical!

Thanks for your help.

Developer

Yeah, it is a pain that many vendors haven't fully validated their software on 5.0... from their website, although they mention V4.2.1 and above... I'd suggest you let them know directly and ask them for a free copy of the upgrade Smiley Happy

I've lobbed your question to a insider friend and will let you know what (if anything) he responds!

cheers!

peace and love