Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook, Z10
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Bold 9700 - email via wifi only - possible?

Hopefully I can explain the problem clearly enough to get an answer!

I have recycled by 9700 to my daughter and am now using the Z10.  I have put her on a basic plan that includes voice minutes, text and BBM, but no 'Internet data'.

I would like to configure a gmail account on the phone that could be accessed in wifi coverage areas.  Of course, the phone won't let me and I assume that means the functional BBM is not an indicator that BIS is activated.  Now that the Z10 no longer requires the BIS or BES to work, I was hoping there was some way to get to gmail without resorting to the hopeless browser, even if it meant she'd only have 'real' mail service in wifi zones.  I recall Google had an app of sorts at one time - not sure if that helps or is even available now (suspect not).

Another possible twist to this... we have BES Lite running in the office.  I had been connected to it previously with this phone (before wiping it completely) and I think that the office's public IP is the one my phone was given when browsing the 'net.  Which makes me wonder if activating the phone on that BES server again would allow me access to gmail via wifi?  Or is BES/BIS on the phone account *with the cell provider* an absolute necessity even if wifi is the only contemplated means of connecting?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Bold 9700 - email via wifi only - possible?

Hello,

You are correct in your assumption -- the functionality of BBM does not necessarily indicate that anything else should be functional (e.g., email). There are many different levels of BIS, with many different mixes of services included -- all controlled by the specific plan to which you subscribe from your provider. So, you need to ask them what services you can expect to function on the 9700 given the plan you have purchased from them.

Google indeed did have an app...and I as well am unsure if it exists anymore. I do know that it was not available for "later" OS levels (e.g., I think it worked on OS5, but perhaps not on 6 or 7).

I also am unsure of your specific device/OS level can provide internet access via WiFi only...some can, some cannot. The best way is, of course, to try and see what happens.

brock-n wrote:

Another possible twist to this... we have BES Lite running in the office.  I had been connected to it previously with this phone (before wiping it completely) and I think that the office's public IP is the one my phone was given when browsing the 'net.  Which makes me wonder if activating the phone on that BES server again would allow me access to gmail via wifi?  Or is BES/BIS on the phone account *with the cell provider* an absolute necessity even if wifi is the only contemplated means of connecting?

I think that the use of any BES requires a data plan from the carrier, regardless of pathway between the device and the server (e.g., carrier data network versus WiFi). The difference is that with BES-X (hopefully, that's what you meant by "BES Lite" you only need a BIS-level plan, but for full BES, you must have a full BES data plan.

Hope all of that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  The phone has the latest possible OS from Rogers installed.  I believe Internet access is available via wifi, as I was able to surf (think so) and send/receive email (know so) when in Maui over Christmas.  I turned off the cellular component of the phone as I boarded the plane in Canada, avoiding overpriced roaming charges!  I'm just having some trouble remembering how much I did with the 9700 and how much was via my PlayBook!

The rub comes with accessing the outside world on wifi with or without a BIS/BES account.  I want to say that when I visited a web site via wifi, I appeared as our BESx (yes, Express, not Lite - my mistake!) outside IP.  If I was on the cellular network, my IP was reported as BlackBerry in the states.  At least that's what I recall... can't test that now!

I'm going to say that the only purpose to having the BIS or BES account when using wifi, would be to configure the email account on the phone.  I believe the configuration is done at the Blackberry mothership and pushed to the phone, whether you use the web interface method or phone wizard.  BES lets your IT group push your company configuration to the phone, but any other email accounts (gmail etc.) would still need the mothership to look after it.  In other words, you can't configure the phone all by itself, off the air.  And therein lies the problem.  I suspect the only way around it would be for a developer to build an actual gmail client app that didn't make you use the horrible web browser... that is, a stand alone mail client of sorts that might or might not integrate with the 'messages' icon on the phone.

Hmmm.  I haven't searched for a 'mail client'... maybe one exists...?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You are correct in many respects. Without some data plan from a carrier (one that has the proper mix of services), you cannot do any email on a pre-BB10 BB via the native interface. Email on a pre-BB10 BB is not a direct on-device application...rather it is a service, hosted by the carriers/BlackBerry, that provides a bridge between your email service and the BB. That service is called BIS -- but, as you have also discovered, there are different service levels within the superset called BIS, some that allow email, and others that do not. And, regardless of channel used (e.g., carrier network versus WiFi), subscription to an adequate data plan is required in order for the email component of BIS to be active.

I've heard only rare discussions here about stand alone email clients for BB. The BB email function has always been considered quite powerful that I doubt the developers have bothered to try and spend their resources to develop an app that could never probably do as well as BIS. And, in may parts of the world, BIS costs no more than a generic data plan anyway, so the market for that app would be limited.

Your best bet is to dig at Google to see if perhaps they do still have that app available for your specific platform. I'd heard rumors that they took it down entirely, but I have not had cause to research into it myself. Other than that, it would be their webmail interface via the BB (or other) browser.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Looks like LogicMail is the only current option available, but it hasn't seen much work for a year or more.  I will take a closer look at it tonight and see if I can get it going.  As noted previously, I don't have a data plan on the hand-me-down phone, only a few voice minutes with texting and BBM.  I can't justify another pile of dollars every month for a younger kid who exchanges three word emails with her friends, once in a while... ;-)

Hall of Famer III

Hence, webmail...

Contributor

sdgardne wrote:
Hence, webmail...

Hence, Z10... ;-)

Hall of Famer III

But I thought we were working on a solution for your daughter on a 9700? Did I get lost somewhere?

Contributor

No, you didn't get lost... I was simply making a sarcastic/frustrated comment on how to ultimately solve the issue, while also pointing out an improvement in the new product! Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III

Ah...OK...sorry, I didn't catch that quite quick enough. So, you are all set now? I just want to be sure...