Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: M1

Bold 9700 keeps hanging randomly everyday - mobile calls and SMSes down

Hi, I would be very grateful if someone can help me with this problem I'm having.

I bought a Bold 9700 in Aug 2010, it has been working fine until 3 weeks back. It hangs / freezes unexpectedly, and although the 3G reception shows that it is full bar, I can't make/receive mobile calls and SMSes. Hence, when someone tries to call me, they can't get through and they can't SMS me to tell me they can't get through to me becos the SMS is not coming through as well!

On top of this, I won't know that my phone is hanging until I try to make a call out and discover that my attempt has failed.

So basically, I find myself making calls to my wife every hour just to see if my phone is in 'hang' mode Smiley Indifferent   And if the call attempt fails, then I'll know to reboot it. However, sometimes it takes a number of reboots (both hard and soft) before it's back up and working. This is a daily occurence happening 2-3 times a day. 

*** Strange thing is that during 'hang' mode, although I can't make/receive mobile calls and SMSes, I can still send/receive Emails, BB Messenger and WhatsApp. 

Now I went to the Blackberry Service Centre and they gave me a one-to-one exchange. But the next day after I brought my 'new' Blackberry home.. it hung again!!

At this point, I thought that maybe it could be the SIM card causing the problem, so I went to my carrier and got a new SIM card.. just a few hours after... IT HUNG AGAIN!!

I am now holding a 'new' Blackberry Bold 9700 and a new SM card but the same problem persists. 

Would be very grateful if someone has any good advice to give.

Thanks. 

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Bold 9700 keeps hanging randomly everyday - mobile calls and SMSes down

Do you have any 3rd party apps on the device?  Do you have a media (memory) card in the device?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Hi John,

The only apps I downloaded were Facebook and WhatsApp Mesenger.

Memory card-wise, I only have the standard memory card that they give with the Blackberry device.

Could FB app be the cause of the problem? That would be strange.

When in hang mode, Mobile Calls and SMSes not working but BB Mesenger and WhatsApp are. Could there be something wrong with the "Mobile Calls and SMS" segment of the device?

Thanks 

Crispian

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Its not FB. Have you tried it without WhatsApp Messenger? What is stored on the media card? Have you tried without the media card installed?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Hi John,

I only have 8 photos in my media card.

I don't think it is FB and WhatsApp apps that's causing the problem because ii've been using these aps fo months without problems. This problem just croppedup 3 weeks back (which was months after using WhatsApp and FB). 

Nevertheless, I uninstalled FB but the problem still persists.

If I have to uninstall all apps for this to work then sadly, it really defeats the purpose of the device as a smartphone. 

Crispian

Guru II

I already said it wasn't FB and recommended removing WhatsApp. I make these recomendations based on my 7 years experience using and supporting BB devices. If you choose not to try my suggestions then that's fine but you won't get your problem solved. I have seen 3rd party apps cause issues like this and I have seen one corrupt file on a media card cause issues like this. You can always install the apps again and reinsert the media card if it turns out that's not it but it allows us to rule out these items.

Lastly, I would make a backup of the device using DM, then wipe the device and use it temporarily without your data on it at all. Does the problem still exist?

If none of this helps then I suggest contacting your carrier for support and if they can't resilve it have them escalate your case to RIM. There is no charge to you or carrier when they do this so insist that they do it.

Good luck.

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 v6.0.0.576
My Carrier: Orange UK

I would alos persist on removing Whatsapp as I have heard it causing some problems with the Blackberyr phones, especially 9700.

Also, as John stated, a corrupt media card can do this. I had run into this problem with my media card where I was unable to use my media and whenever I tried to access pictures, it used to get hung and battery pull was the only option.

As you said it has only 8 pictures, I would recommend you copy the 8 pictures out and format your media card and then place the 8 pictures. This would help in identifying the problem area.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
New Contributor

Hi John,

Thanks for your recommendations. I'll try out what you mentioned and hope that the problem is resolved.

Many Thanks,

Crispian

New Contributor

Hi jm312,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll try these suggestions out for sure.

Fingers Crossed,

Crispian

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9220
My Carrier: vodafone india

hi crispian,

did the uninstalling whats app resolved the hang issue? 

i am facing the same problem as you did  since the last 1month or so.

please confirm if uninstalling programs and reinstalling programs this hang issue has been resolved.

awaiting your quick revert.

thanks

varun