Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Simyo

Bold 9780 - Keys sometimes not working (Keyboard and others)

I have a very weird issue with the Blackberry Bold 9780. It started some weeks ago with having problems to unlock the phone - it seemed like the unlock key (top left) was not working or giving double klicks - at time sI needed to press it several times to unlock. Sometimes I could not get it to work at all, a battery pull fixed that usually. Now this problkem has spread to other keys and I frequently cannot press any key - shaking the phone a bit or pulling the battery sometimes solves it partially. The trackpad/joystick does not work in some applications, like the main menu (I cannot call up an application). But when I manage to start an application via the keyboard (typing the name and press enter), the trackpad works, I can choose options within the app. But then at some time the whole keyset freezes, especially when the system goes into auto-keylock.

I do not know what to make of it - the fact that it occurs randomly and can at times be fixed by shaking sounds like an hardware issue, the fact that it can be fixed partially and that it seems to occur only within some user interfaces and not in others points to some weird software issue... What can I do now? It has become basically nonfunctional at this point.

I dont have a contract with a provider, so I have no way to complain and get a new phone. It is also more then 2 or 3 years old.

Thank you.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Bold 9780 - Keys sometimes not working (Keyboard and others)

It sounds to me like the device got moisture inside. This can happen from high humidity, as well as direct contact with liquid.

Place the device in a bag of uncooked rice for a couple of days and see if that helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the advice. How is this possible? Can it be just by outdoors air humidity? I did not spill anything over the device, but I was outside for a while during bad weather. The device was inside a plastic container, but air humidity generally was certainly high. Can this already be a reason for this equipment to fail? I intended to use this device also for emergency calls when hiking, but obviously it is not up to that task if it cannot deal with regularly high air humidity.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Yes, it's absolutely possible. Putting a device in a plastic bag doesn't prevent moisture damage since condensation becomes an issue. Moisture will kill a device.

You will have trouble with any device and high humidity or condensation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Ok. I will try that. What I do not understand is how it can be that in some user interfaces the keys do work, while in others they do not. Like the trackpad not working in the main menu to select an app, but if I press the keys "OP" it turns on search, I get "options" as a result, I press enter and then the trackpad works and lets me select options and all items within the options menu, if I return then to the main view, trackpad stops working again.

Also, I turned on sound for the trackpad to give an audible indicator if the pad is used. In that case I get an audible signal from the pad (a stream of short clicks), but the user interface does not react to it. This is why I was thinking that it may be not a pure hardware error. If the keys or trackpad are dysfunctional because of moisture, would I then not expect to also not hear a sound?

Is there a way to run a software diagnostics or software repair via the blackberry desktop software?

Guru II

You can run a hardware diagnostics by going to Options > status. On that screen type the letters T E S T. You won't see anything being typed but a diagnostics screen will appear. You can test everything there.

Contributor

Thanks. I tried that and tested keyboad and trackpad. Both worked according to the test, though I had some minor issues with keys getting "stuck" (multiple press). But again - the trackpad works in some user interfaces and not in others. For example in the test menu I could not scroll down to read the full report except by pressing the space key, but I could select everything fine in the options menu. this is consistent even if I call up the test screen again.

I am now almost certain that it is not a hardware issue as the hardware tests passed, the key-tones are audible and the functionality in many user interfaces is working, yet on other occasions it is not and these occasions seem to be consistent. What does not fit into that picture - if the screen is locked and I need to press unlock, it often does not work but works after shaking the device and then I get multiple key issues with that key. So maybe that part is a hardware error (is it possible to configure a different key for unlocking?).

So if there is a way to also run a software diagnostics that would be good - or is it possible to fix software issues by running a software update if that is available?

Thank you a lot.

Guru II

It still sounds like moisture damage to me.  However, if you think it's software then the first thing to do is wipe the device.  Use Desktop Manager to make a full backup:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB12487

Then do a security wipe of the device.  I recommend doing it in stages.  Try just wiping your data and not your apps.  If the problem persists, go back and wipe the apps too.  The backup will not backup/restore apps but you can reinstall them from BB World.  Do not wipe your media card, in fact, it's best to remove it altogether.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14058

If the problem goes away then try restoring your data back to the device:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

If you still have problems after this please post back and we can try even more drastic measures like wiping the OS from the device and reloading the OS.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok thank you. Reinstalling the apps will be a pain, but if it is needed... One of them is not from Appworld - I think - , so I am not sure if I can get it back without paying for it again.

Can you maybe explain to me how moisture can cause this effect - that the touchpad works in some user interfaces and not in others? Do they use different ways in respect to hardware to access the touchpad?

P.S.: I will put it in a box with silica gel to dry it overnight - lets see if that helps.

Guru II

Wipe just your data first and then see if the behavior continues. If it does, then go back and do another security wipe and include the apps and then try again.

Erratic behavior like you describe is caused by moisture 9 times out of 10. I can't give you technical reasons as I just know what I've seen in my 9 years of experience helping people with their BlackBerry devices. I don't rule out anything and that's why I gave you instructions on how to wipe the device and see if the problem continues.

The damage can be permanent, though. If moisture gets in the actual keypad or trackpad contacts then corrosion takes place and erratic behavior will persist. The trackpad can be replaced pretty easily on the 9780 (it does void warranty) but the keypad contacts cannot.