Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange

Bold 9780 Map Issues

Device info

Your carrier: Orange (UK)

Model info and OS version: Bold 9780 & Blackberry 6

Apps and free space

File free before and after a battery remove/replace.: 237562535 Bytes

Did a battery pull fix your issue? No

Apps installed and their version if possible.: WhatsApp Messenger 2.4.8693, TubeBuddy 1.4.0.10, Pixelated 2.4, WeatherTrax 1.7 and Tube Map 1.8.2

BT device model/version: I do not know what this means?!

When writing your question

Good description of what is really wrong and how to reproduce if possible. Details of what you did before: I am having trouble with my downloaded apps from BB App World. Without me asking I will find that an app has been uninstalled (with out my consent - I understand it does this when an upgrade takes place.)

Also I downloaded the Tube Map 1.8.2 and it is no where to be seen!!! I have searched for it on the phone with no result but when I go to download it app world tells me I already have it...I have turned off the phone and taken the battery out, syncronized my phone with the pc and nothing seems to work! I work in London and so having a tube map on my phone is an absolute must...if only I could find it?!

My last issue is that my actual Blackberry Maps will not launch - do I need to download maps for it to use? I have changed the data allowance to unlimited, checked that my phone plan is set up for GPS/map capabilities and not sure what to do!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Retired
My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Bold 9780 Map Issues

Hello,

In this case we can try to reload the software on the BlackBerry smartphone to make sure it is running the latest version and there are no issues with the OS.

To do this we would need to back up the BlackBerry smartphone. Please open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and connect your BlackBerry smartphone. Click on the Backup and Restore button and select Back Up. Please note the location where the backup is being saved as we will need to access it later to restore the BlackBerry smartphone.

Once you have backed up your BlackBerry smartphone please follow the link below to complete a clean reload of the BlackBerry smartphone software.

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320

Test before restoring any backups.

Thank you

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

When trying to install and run Blackberry Maps on the Bold 9780 with the Desktop Manager,following message appears: Uncaught exception:Index 5>=5 and the Maps icon is not shown.
When trying to install from the Web via smartphone, message telling me, 
that the device does not meet the system requirements
appears and then the window with the message, that the application has 
been downloaded and  installed completely,
however  the icon does not appear and the application can not be run.
According to the list of installed applications,
the MAPS are there installed correctly,
so I do not understand.
I could not find any relevant help on your Web,
neither from ORANGE is SLovakia, from which the phone has been bought.
Certainly, as an end user, I do not like to see messages as *Uncaught 
exception:Index 5>=5* to appear on my smartphone!!!
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hello,

I have had T-Mobile version of this phone (OS 6.285 build) for over two weeks and have been trying to solve this Blackberry Maps issue ever since.

Just like you suggested, I have reloaded the OS, re-installed the apps including Blackberry Maps and it did absolutely nothing to resolve the issue.

I think RIM did not bother disclosing that the applications like BB Maps don't work out of the box even though they are pre-installed.

Maybe the end users have the right to know about these issues before they purchase the device.

Here's a link to the video that I posted on Youtube that gives summary of these issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7IDpik3K4

Is anyone else having the same problems with TMO version?

New Contributor

It seems, that RIM are totally disinterested and pointed me towards local re-seller,which is Orange.Their adv ice-ignoring the strange message about uncaught exception-was to use Gioogle Maps (which do work OK), because the MAPS do not function in  SK. This again is not probably the complete true, since if I try to use BB App World, which is not supported in SK, it tinforms me decently so and is functional, when e.g. in Germany.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for replying! The disconcerting fact is that Google Maps does not run on my device at all. The error message is this: "This application requires data plan and will now close, Please contact your vendor, etc." Well, this is happening in spite of this phone actually having a properly provisioned BB data plan via T-Mobile. So now I have the phone that has no working applications for Maps at all.

I am really surprised that RIM is completely silent abou this.

What really ticks me off is that people actually pay up to $500 to buy a phone like this in retail just to be left with defunct apps in it. Whats wrong with this picture??

New Contributor

I think that I have got similar message from Google Maps after first download and no functionality, I do not remember exactly what I did to get over that , but it worked - either enabled GPS or removed and downloaded it second time (or both) and it started working ...

Trusted Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone

I had the same problem when I installed Google Maps..

Moreover Blackberry Maps doesnt work in India.

Luciely, I reinstalled the app and is working now. 

New Contributor
My Carrier: O2

I’m experiencing the same problem, I bought my bold 9780 locked on orange and unlocked it to use on o2.  Blackberry maps is installed and it appears in application manager, other than that I cannot find this application any where else in the phone (I searched everywhere).  I have deleted blackberry maps through application manager and then reinstalled it through the browser download, rebooted the phone, again the same problem as before.  I have even wiped all the data on the phone and restored the whole os 6 through blackberry desktop manager and still no success, still cant find blackberry maps.  My device version is: 6.0.0.285 and branding version is: 1.0.142.503w. Please help.

New Contributor
My Carrier: o2

I bought my BB at the start of Jan, and just like others here, the maps wouldnt work. I phoned O2 and after talking to a few people it turned out there were some service books missing from my account.

Once they had pushed these to me, they asked me to switch my phone off and when i turned it back on it would be working.

Sure enough it was, maps was working fine.