Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Orange Switzerland

Bold 9780 showing only SOS signal

I have been using my Bold 9780 for the past 18 months without any problem.  But recently it stopped connecting to the mobile network, and shows only the SOS signal.  It does connect to the wifi, and all other functions seem to be working okay.   I tried with different SIM cards with different providers with the same result.  These SIM cards are working fine with other handsets.  Any help or suggestions to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Bold 9780 showing only SOS signal

Can you take the phone and sims to the store or authorized repair shop?  You did some good troubleshooting.  Not sure what could be causing this issue.  Another option is to call customer support from another phone if possible.

My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Just before trying Wolf359's suggestion, try registering your phone on the network again.  To do this, follow Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Table>(Menu Key)>Register Now.

If that doesn't work, Wolf's suggestion is the way to go.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

BillJ wrote:

Just before trying Wolf359's suggestion, try registering your phone on the network again.  To do this, follow Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>Host Routing Table>(Menu Key)>Register Now.

If that doesn't work, Wolf's suggestion is the way to go.  Smiley Happy

Thanks, BillJ.  I tried this, but it just queues the request for a future data connection.  This obviously doesn't go through as there is no connection to the mobile network.  I guess I need to approach the customer service, as suggested by Wolf359.  I suspect a hardware issue.

My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

Got this same issue . Sounds like a flaky antenna.  I have a Bold 9780 and so does my wife. She can sit beside me in our house and get 3G Full Bar reception and my 9780 states No Service SOS. I walk out on to our laneway and get a signal. My 9780 works everywhere accept in my house. Totally frustrating. Rogers put a new SIM card in. No change.

Did the the whole re-Registration process thru Options. No Change. Our 9780s are setup identically. Got them thru a Rogers family plan at the same time two years ago.

New Contributor

I discovered that my phone is still under warranty for a couple of more months, so took it to my service provider from whom I purchased it.  It was sent for repairs, and I received a brand new phone as replacement after a couple of weeks.  Obviously it might have been a major hardware issue.  Anyway, my new phone works great, and I am happy!

Highlighted
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Good deal, thanks for the update.