Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Vodacom South Africa

Bold 9790 battery life

The battery life is really bad.  The most I had was around 30 hours, with the least around 8 hrs, averaging around 20 hours if I am lucky.  Even closing all running APS, it helps, but when the phone is on 3G, it really drains the battery.  I can not select 2G.  I do a network search, select 2G, but once it finds a 3G signal, it changes to that again.  I was told to downgrade to the previous 7.0 software that gives me the option to select 2G only, what is the use of this?  Is this the only way? Brent

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Bold 9790 battery life

It is a well-known fact that 3G is harder on battery life than 2G. Using 2G will help with battery life. However, If you're getting around 20 hours on a battery I'd be pretty happy with that. You need to charge the device daily.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks for response. Is there any way though to get phone to select 2G only as mostly it changes to 3G, so even my 20 hour periods are short lived?
Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

As you mentioned, it involves downgrading your OS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks, I will have to do that then, I sadly expected more from a Blackberry than having to downgrade.
Guru II

20 hours is really quite good for a device running OS7.1 on 3G. Personally, I would leave it right where it's at.

To each his own.

Guru II

BrentE wrote:
Thanks, I will have to do that then, I sadly expected more from a Blackberry than having to downgrade.

Oh, and by the way, your carrier is the one that decided that option should be removed.  RIM writes the code to be installed to the carrier's specifications.  For whatever reason your carrier requires that the 2G-only option be removed. 

New Contributor

True, I will give it another week and decide. Thanks for the discussion and advice.