Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Verizon BlackBerry Tour 9630

Bold 9900/9930 camera autofocus - is there a chance RIM will update the model soon with autofocus?

[ Edited ]

I was planning to buy the new Bold 9930 this week.  My friend bought it and was shocked to see the camera had no autofocus and thus was unable to take photos of documents.  We need to take photos of documents when there's no scanner at the ready. 

Is it physically possible to add autofocus to the 9930/9900?  How can loyal BlackBerry customers encourage RIM to add this vital feature quickly to a new model - perhaps a "9935" or "9905"?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bold 9900/9930 camera autofocus - is there a chance RIM will update the model soon with autofocus?

Well, it's a little late now, the device in full production already.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Re: Bold 9900/9930 camera autofocus - is there a chance RIM will update the model soon with autofocus?

Does RIM read this board and take anything into account for new models? Lost cause?
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Primarily this is a user-to-user community support forum, and while I'm sure RIM personnel do look through the forum from time to time, this really isn't intended for user suggestions and enhancement ideas, hence the name of the forum.

You might send an email to bbsuggestions@rim.com

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks for the bbsuggestions@rim info.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: VODAPHONE UK

I blieve it has it

http://demos.blackberry.com/bold-9900-9930/na/us/gen/

Please remember these feature need good to properly work I have Nikon and it will hunting for focus in a darken room 

BHRider
Contributor

Multiple reviews state there's no autofocus.  There is image stablization, but no autofocus.  Unbelievable.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930

I too am AMAZED that the Verizon 9930 will not take very good close up pictures. Is it really an autofocus issue? The Blackberry demo at  http://demos.blackberry.com/bold-9900-9930/na/us/gen/   clearly says the camera has autofocus. Is it possible that a future software update can fix this? My previous 9650 took amazing close up pictures. Amazing how RIMM can mess this up.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Digi

Yes its unbelievable that RIM can advertise in the demo video on their website clearly stating that there is image stabilizer and auto-focus on ther camera.

I am very dissapointed with RIM as I only found out that there is no auto-focus on the camera after pruchasinf it. 

I have always been a great fan of their products but this is one big step backwards in the design of their phones.

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone

there is an auto focus as such. the camera is constantly focussing on the subject in the centre of the frame.

there is however no "user controlled" focusing, (so technically manual focus i suppose) which is what i think the original poster is refering to. This was a facility i had on my old 8900, and may have been on the previous bold model too.

it is a facility that is desperatly needed, hopefully RIM will include it in a firmware update in the future. it is nearly impossible to take a close up picture using the 9900, as the camera will just not focus properly.

a VERY bad oversite as far as im concerned.