Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Bold 9900 Battery Life

@ifraser - you think I should get a new phone -  I've only had it for 3 days?

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE

Mmm, that's a decision I can't help you with. As a Blackberry the 9900 is a dream, the bettery apart. But if you were expecting it to be great from the start it would be disapointing.

If you hold on a month you will be getting more of the phone you were expecting.
PRIV for BlackBerry
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

I think I might get it exchanged, although it seems pointless.

Super Contributor

You won't get a decent difference until 7.1 appears. I would ask in the voda shop if they have a release date.

Failing that, get the leak and install it. It can't effect warranty as a device can be wiped at any time and put back to official OS.

PRIV for BlackBerry
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB Bold 9900
My Carrier: TNM

@ifraser when you speak of wipping the phone do you mean using the security wipe feature in the security sub menu under options or is there another better way of doing this using a pc? And would you recomend that you wipe contacts emails etc as well as user installed apps? Does it really make a difference as I thought when you update software using BB Desktop Software it takes a back-up, wipes the phone and then installs the new software. So isn't this the same as wiping the phone manually? Also if you do back up the phone and reinstall this back up after the installation of the software isn't there a possibility that this ipd file back up would bring back something that could be draining the battery? Can't wait for a software version that gives me similar life to my old 9700 and 9780! BTW on another note does anyone know if the Porsche Design P9981 also suffers the same battery issue as the bold 9900 since it is basically the same phone. Also I presume the same software would work on the P9981? Or does it have software that is slightly different due to themes etc?
Super Contributor

That's a lot of questions:

Full Wipe vs Security Wipe= Full Wipe removes all the software from the ROM, obviously backing up 1st is recommended. Security Wipe only deletes the user databases, emails, contacts etc.

Wiping contacts and emails/sms isn't needed but apps and app settings are restored when you do an upgrade via Desktop manager, so the Full wipe means new installs of apps. Can save a lot of issues and stop issues with bad settings.

Yes, as I said above, a full backup can restore bed app settings. But this wouldn't include contacts, email service books etc. Do a selective backup is you want to be sure.

As for the porsche phone, not sure as I don't have £1200 to buy one. Lol

However the theme does work on our phones so guessing the software is just slightly tweaked.

Btw, 7.1.0.190 is really getting back to the 9700 battery life. Not long to go. Smiley Happy

PRIV for BlackBerry
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64GB Bold 9900
My Carrier: TNM

@ifraser

Happy to hear that you are getting battery life similar to the bold 9700. I can't wait to get such life!

Sorry for all the questions and if you don't mind here are a few more!

As for a full wipe are you using BBSAK? I have heard of it but never used it. I trust it is relatively straightforward to use if you are tech savvy? Would you be able to sumarise the process...also would you recommend backing up the user info...contacts, emails, service books using BB Desktop Manger or BBSAK.

Which version of BBSAK are you using if at all you do use it.

Cheers

Super Contributor

No problems, I use bbsak or bboss, both a pretty much the same style of app.

Backup is always done using desktop manager.

There is not much too the bbsak app so you will see the wipe device option without any help from me honestly. Think the latest version is 1.9.

Btw, I can take up to 5 mins to fully wipe the 9900. Lol. I thought it had stuck but was just slow.
PRIV for BlackBerry
Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 and 9700
My Carrier: Taiwan mobile

I'm wondering if I do a full wipe (which I have done before) if I'd restore whatever bad setting / batt draining apps back into the phone during restoration.

-BB Nas, my phone is draining at similar rate as yours during 90% idle (losing 25% to 30% in 4 hours with a total talk time of less than 10 min and total of 15 min Whatsapp time, maybe another 5 min of Web surfing).

I turned my phone into RIM via the carrier to have it looked at /fixed. I don't expect much from those guys though. They will probably come back and tell me I need to downgrade the OS because this taiwan carrier is very slow in testing and had only officially released up to .4xx. I turned my phone into them with .579.

I will stick 7.1 onto the phone when it comes back in couple days.
Super Contributor

@www. Glad you have got RIM themselves to assess it, will be very interesting to see what comes out of it.

Btw, I wouldny be surprised if it comes back with 7.1 on it. The only people that could tell you to downgrade is your network, and the way the OS issues have been I don't think that would happen. Smiley Happy

Good luck and keep us updated please.
PRIV for BlackBerry