Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Re: Bold 9900 Battery Life

I don't have an app for taking screen shots but my average drain is 3.56% and was similar (classified as "Normal") yesterday..   I can't say it's a night and day difference from 7.0 but I have all the new features of 7.1 (although I haven't tried hotspot yet) and am quite satisfied with this OS and the phone in general !

Trusted Contributor

I also have two OEM batteries and could have swore the second one (Just purchased a couple of weeks ago) was a longer lasting battery but I thought it must be all in my head..   glad to hear I'm not going bonkers after all !!

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 and 9700
My Carrier: Taiwan mobile

Mike, what is your utilization on the phone? 2 + 3G?
Trusted Contributor

3G/H+ & 2G, WiFi on while at home, Bluetooth on always, e-mail throughout the day, several BBM's & SMS, minimum browsing, a couple of short phone calls (5 - 7 minutes), LiveProfile, BBM, BatteryPlus, LinkedIn all also running in the back ground (always).  I have my auto on/off set so the phone goes off at 11:15pm and back on at 6:00am.

Yesterday I had a full charge as of 4:00pm. With the above usage etc...  I didn't put the phone back on charge until this afternoon at 1:00pm  (21hours later) with just over 20% charge remaining on the battery.

No complaints here what-so-ever !

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 and 9700
My Carrier: Taiwan mobile

Wondering what difference in batt life without the wifi..?
Super Contributor
My Carrier: EE

Mike I actually think the wifi helps my battery so it will possibly drop a bit.

Although I didn't use UMA much yesterday as my broadband was up and down. Smiley Happy

PRIV for BlackBerry
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: I am rocking the BlackBerry® PlayBook bridged to BlackBerry® Torch Smartphone with BlackBerry® Wireless Headset HS-700
My Carrier: I am on AT&T

[ Edited ]

My finds to date are as follows;

1. When the battery life drops below 65% the phone demand on the battery exceeds it's performance and the battery heats up and dies faster.

2. Below 65% the phone take over and is not controllable and crashed continually.

3. Using the lock button (top of phone) makes the battery deplete faster than just insert it back into the holster unlocked.

Hopefully this can be correct as all other functions of the bb phone superb.

CW

Blackberry 9900 Bold Touch Battery

visit our website: DietKart
Thanks
Super Contributor

@CW- that sounds like you have a dodgy handset. I have no more problems below 65% than above. Although I also don't use the top lock button, holster only.

We seem to have come to the conclusion that the demand on the battery from 100% is slightly high, The OS still needs slightly tweaked (or rewritten) to drop the demand on the battery.
PRIV for BlackBerry
Trusted Contributor

Fraser I think your theory of the battery taking a few days to settle in must be accurate.This is day 5 after installing the leaked 7.1 OS and I did the analysis again just now and after a day of all the same apps as previously mentioned running in the background but what I woiuld consider heavy use (steady e-mails, calls and FB messages because it's my birthday), my Battery Drain Rate is still rated "Normal" but today it's at 4.03% /hr.

Super Contributor

I have actually had 2 very settled days after changing to my spare battery. Looking at the graphs I am getting I reckon the original battery if not right so I called RIM and my phone provider.

Ended up getting them to agree to pay for a new battery for me. That's a bonus!!

4.03% looks a lot more like it should and I asked at RIM this morning and .205 is the current version they have as well. So no newer version about.

PRIV for BlackBerry