Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9900
My Carrier: computing
Accepted Solution

Bold 9900 Blackberry maps not working at all after an OS update : No icon + white screen + "unknown error"

Hello,

I am having the same problem then other bold 9900 users, lot of new 9900 Bold are being shipped with the proprietary Black Berry maps (v6.1.0.24) not working at all...
Actually, my maps aren't (icon missing) on my menu after an blackberry update through DM
(v 7.? -> OS v7.0.0.296, PF 5.0.0.496) but if I search for them I can find them but and when I open it :

- I just get a white screen 
- and It says "unknown error" when I try to find a location. 

I did the uninstall and reinstall of BB-Maps through DM and still having the same problem.

Can any one help?

Regards

KC.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bold 9900 Blackberry maps not working at all after an OS update : No icon + white screen + "unknown error"

Look at your Options > Device > Application Management. BlackBerry Maps is installed?

You do have a BlackBerry Data Plan on your mobile account?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: Bold 9900 Blackberry maps not working at all after an OS update : No icon + white screen + "unknown error"

First, thxs for quick replay .

Well,

- "Look at your Options > Device > Application Management. BlackBerry Maps is installed?" => Yes ! Version v6.1.0.24. And I can see BBMaps icon if I search for "foo" (for example) I can find the icon but the application not work, I receive  "unknown error" for searching "foo"  and white screen if a looking for my location on maps ( no green point and no maps.. Only white screen and gray target) 

note that my BBMaps works very well before update of OS version through Desktop software.

- and of course I have data access on my mobile plan.

thxs a lot

Thanatos_k wrote:

- and of course I have data access on my mobile plan.

I asked specifically if you have THE BlackBerry Data Plan on your mobile account... not "data access".

Do you know?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Understood, 

there is no connection to BlackBerry Internet Service if this that u want to know, and

when I'm looking on logs and  found this : 

ServerExchangeThread : network connection error : invalid URL (null

UnifiedSearchController : Unknown error code for location search.

Next a stack trace of MapException : error retrieving dictionaries

I'll try to get again BlackBerry Data plan right now with costumer service.

I hope that helps you.

thxs

Thanatos_k wrote:

Understood, 

there is no connection to BlackBerry Internet Service if this that u want to know, and

when I'm looking on logs and  found this : 

ServerExchangeThread : network connection error : invalid URL (null

UnifiedSearchController : Unknown error code for location search.

Next a stack trace of MapException : error retrieving dictionaries

I'll try to get again BlackBerry Data plan right now with costumer service.

I hope that helps you.

thxs

Well, it really still doesn't answer my question. I am asking if you KNOW if you have that specific data plan on your account? A generic data plan won't cut it for BlackBerry Maps.

So, if you don't have this specific plan, then yes, calling your mobile provider is the solution to subscribe to that specific plan.

IF you know that you already have that plan subscribed... there are other things you might do to troubleshoot, such as resending service books, registered the HRT, etc.

On your BlackBerry device, go to:

1. On OS5 devices: Options > Advanced > Host Routing Table > Menu > Register. On OS6 devices: Options > Device > Advanced > Host Routing Table
2. Resend your service books from your carrier BIS site:
From your handheld device:   http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15402

Go to the Personal Email Set Up icon and log in. Then under Help!, select Service Books, then select Send service Books.

From your desktop PC:  http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02830
North American Carriers
- scroll down to select your carrier
WorldWide Carriers - Find your carrier on the list

3. With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot. This reboot, even if you have already done this, is often needed to install the service books.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I'll looking for tomorrow, cause of my BlackBerry Internet Service account is disabled.. When I try to logging with on https://vodafr.blackberry.com/html 

I hope that resending service books fix maps access, because of all my BB Account configuration was lost when I update OS of my device, ex.  Host Routing Table list is empty, etc.. 

I think that the update process is the root cause. 

Answer  : "Well, it really still doesn't answer my question. I am asking if you KNOW if you have that specific data plan on your account? A generic data plan won't cut it for BlackBerry Maps."

Yes I have it ! But all specific configuration lost with update process.

thxs a lot, I'll give you more details tomorrow.

regards

New Contributor

Hello,

Re-activation of my account filled Host Routing Table with GPRS and WIFi entries and re-sending service books filled the list with new entries.

Finally the BlackBerry Maps icon appears again on my menu and it works well !!

Note that is wierd to loose all this configuration after an OS update...

thanks for all : )

KC.

Great, glad you got it solved.

Please take the time to mark the "accepted solution" on the post which helped the most.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: orange

good day.i have the same problem with maps, but i specify that i don't have Blackberry data plan, only simple data plan with 50Mb traffic for internet on my mobile.my 9900 is new and i didn't make SO upgrade, i i received the same error with maps;also i don't have the maps icon on installed programs, i cand find the icon only with search option, and when i click on it i received the error "unknown error" and nothing.please help me with this.also i tried to download maps and i have another error with my IE browser (Unable to create the loader Active X Control) and i have this error on 3 differnet PC's.this is very stupid.please help me.thanks.