Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8100 -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9930 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9900 -> Q10
My Carrier: Fido Canada

Bold 9900, Shutting down without computer connected, Battery pull to reboot.

Ok. I have just picked up a Bold 9900, It has some issues but the price was right. This phone was originally from the Bell Mobility network, it has an issue with staying on when disconnected from the computer. Even when it is plugged into the wall adapter or Car charger it goes off on its own requiring a Battery pull to reboot it. It seems though that as long as it is plugged into the computer it boots and stays running. I have tried the three OS versions that Bell has released for this phone to no avail. It continues to act the same with each version. I have tried another battery from another 99xx phone, tried wiping with BBSAK, wiping with JL_Cmdr, Reset to factory. Another symptom is that the battery seems to take about an hour to go up 5%, that is with it sitting in a charger cradle plugged into the wall and having the computer connected Via USB. Am currently running the battery diagnostic on the phone. If anyone else has this problem or a cure for it, it would be greatly appreciated.  Is there some guaranteed way to totally wipe the Phone?

Remember, There is never a stupid question, just stupid answers.

("If any advice that was offered by me helped, Please click on the Thumbs up on the post or click Accept as Solution. Thanks and it was nice to help you out ")

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Bold 9900, Shutting down without computer connected, Battery pull to reboot.

Based on everything you've tried, I'd guess you're looking at a hardware issue. Where did you get the Bold from? If you can, see if you can contact the seller and get them to send the phone in on your behalf...

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8100 -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9930 -> Bold 9780 -> Bold 9900 -> Q10

Re: Bold 9900, Shutting down without computer connected, Battery pull to reboot.

Ok, here is an update and observation that leads me to believe that the hardware may not be at fault. I wiped the phone again and the "Error 507 reload software" screen is up and running. Without the charger plugged in, without the computer plugged in and has been running now for 2 hours without shutdown. I had it running for 3 hours before that without a hitch too, gave it a battery pull and waited for 10 min before reinserting the battery and it booted to the 507 screen, no issues.

Any ideas what I may try next?

("If any advice that was offered by me helped, Please click on the Thumbs up on the post or click Accept as Solution. Thanks and it was nice to help you out ")

Elite I

Ok, 507 error requires an OS reload. Use the method in the following link to get back up and running. Hopefully that will also fix your other issues.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...

If your computer has problems connecting to your BlackBerry, post back and I'll walk you through some steps that should help.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, the plot thickens. I wiped and reinstalled the OS after the phone sat for most of the day without crashing/powering down. Now with the OS back on it is doing the same as before. As long as the computer is plugged in it stays running, but for a new twist. What I mistook for the phone shutting down was actually it freezing and the backlight turning off. I had the digital clock on before I removed the USB cable and within a few seconds it was off. But I can still see the clock digits stuck at 20:06. So it is frozen with the display showing. Hence the need to Pull the battery to get it to reboot. I will keep the cord detached for a while to see if it finally shuts down.

Trusted Contributor

Something else I just found out, I finally ended up pulling the battery almost an hour later because it was still frozen. I thought I would just plug in the wall adapter and it has sat for a good 10 min and no light, no lightning over a battery sign on the screen. No life at all. But it will charge the battery when running. I was wondering if a new battery might be the next step, but if the no battery icon does not even come on the screen??? I just keep making headway in the wrong direction.

Elite I

What OS version are you running? Unfortunately, I'm still inclined to think you're looking at a hardware issue. My Bold 9900 isn't having these issues at all, and based on everything you've tried, that's really the only thing I can think of.

Try contacting the seller... If they sold you a faulty device, they should be willing to help.

Trusted Contributor

The seller sold me the phone because it was doing these things. I am tending to lean towards a power IC on the board, whatever chip controls the power to the board from the battery it would seem, But I am also told that the batteries have a chip in them which can cause problems too. As I only have two used batteries, both from the 9900 and a 9930 which are both inoperative, I still think that I will try a new battery and cross my fingers. Aside from finding a schematic for the 9900/9930 that can show me the position of the Power IC so I may be able to acquire a new one or at least try to rework the chip in case of a bad solder contact. As far as OS's, I have tried 7.0.0.261, 7.0.0.585, 7.1.0.267 all from bell and yesterday I even tried 7.0.0.585 from Rogers. It is strange that without an OS installed it will turn on and stay on all day without the PC attached but as soon as the OS is installed and USB pulled it freezes. Hard to get my head around unless somehow the OS is addressing something in the Power IC that is not accessed when no OS is present.

Elite I

Yeah, that is a little strange, but it seems that you've got the right plans in place. Start with the battery and go from there.

Do you know why the seller didn't just send the phone in for warranty repair? That's a little weird, but to each their own I suppose...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The seller bought the phone early 2011 and it just went out of warranty before it started pulling these antics. Go figure, isn't that always the way? LOL

@Krypto,

Thanks for all the feedback on the problem too, every little bit helps and at times your recommendations remind me of something I have not tried yet or lead me in a different course of attack. It would be nice if more would do as you have done. Thx..