Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Bold 9900 - The #1 BUSINESS phone can't take photos of BUSINESS cards?

I bought a new Bold 9900 but can't take photos of business cards because the camera will not focus on text that small.

After reading through this forum it seems to be a flaw in the 9900 design. 

I think it's completely incomprensible verging on moronic that the #1 BUSINESS phone is incapable of taking photos of BUSINESS cards.

Really? If you can mentally picture a pirate that just smelled something really bad and is wondering who did it -Well that's the face I'm making right now.

Did I miss something in the forums where this issue has been fixed?

If not, is my next best bet to return this 9900 and go to the 9780? 

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Bold 9900 - The #1 BUSINESS phone can't take photos of BUSINESS cards?

Sadly, the 9900's camera does not have auto-focus.  The phone was well conceived to be used as a business phone because it includes standard BlackBerry fare such as BBM, push email, Docs To Go, etc.  I guess these days, scanning someone's BBM barcode (which it can do) is becoming more popular than the ol' snapping of a business card.

Keep in mind that no phone is perfect.  The 9900 does a fine job doing the job for which it was designed.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vergin

Re: Bold 9900 - The #1 BUSINESS phone can't take photos of BUSINESS cards?

I agree 100 percent.  Business cards are an integral part of doing business and exchanging them is a long standing tradition.  I sold mu android type phone, resisted buying the Apple product for a BB product.  Everyday I keep facing the reality the the amount of apps for the BB are limited but yet I wanted to persevere with using the BB product.  Now not only am I limited with software that I find out that hardware is also an issue with no solution in sight.
BB says that this is a state-of-the-art business phone but, frankly, the camera is not that great in the first place and secondly, taking pictures/scanning business cards is a very important.
I've only had the phone for about four months now and frankly these issues are becoming a deal breaker and I find myself having to look for a new phone.  What a drag.