Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Bold 9900 - Too small Notes field size in Contacts

Yesterday I upgraded my Bold 9000 to Bold 9900. The transition went smooth, with one exception - the Notes field size in Contacts is much smaller than in Bold 9000 and the text in that field got truncated..

I keep customer service logs in that field and the major reason for upgrading was the possibility of fast scrolling to the end of the Notes field to add new records. Now this purpose is irrelevant since the data entered in this field in Bold 9000 doesn't even fit in it in Bold 9900. If I don't find a workaround, I will have to revert to my Bold 9000 and return the new device.

I will welcome suggestions on how I could overcome this limitation.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8830

Re: Bold 9900 - Too small Notes field size in Contacts

I'm right there with you -- I'm a pastor, and I keep records on all contacts I make to parishioners -- they can get very lengthy after 9 years of visiting mainly senior adults. The length of the notes field ought to be unlimited, or certainly made way longer -- (hint, hint). I just moved from a 9630 to a 9930, and was unaware of this issue. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Phil
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

A possible workaround is to use the Notes field in Recent Activities associated with the contact. That field has a large size, but those activities are only related to the call log. It would work if there was a way to add recent activities and assign a title to them. But I don't know if the recent activities don't get deleted after a while?
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8830

You got my hacker juices flowing, I found a way to have 4 times the amount of space for text. To check availible space for text I created some test docs, and did a character count. Here's what you do: Just above the "Notes" field is a button labeled "Add Custom Field." That brings up 4 buttons that allow 4 more fields of text. Each "Custom Field" box has about 3/4 the space of the "Notes" field, which quadruples the available space for text. Too bad it has to be broken up into a total of 5 locations; but that is a possibility for additional record-keeping!
Phil