Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Bold 9900 - Update OS to 7.1 results in boot loop, no matter how many reloads...

Good day all,

I'm not new to BlackBerries or IT in general (former IT Tech), but this one is really throwing me for a loop. However, here's some basic details first.

=== Device Info ===

Model: Bold 9900 (AWS Version)

OS (Current):  7.0 Bundle 2406 (7.0.0.585 - Platform: 5.0.0.734)

Carrier: Wind Mobile (Canada)

=== Software/Space Info ===

Core System Software only, all software removed due to reinstallation of OS.

Free space isn't an issue, 32GB Micro SD card inserted as well.

Backups? Got loads of them, I backup daily.

Anyway, like I was saying. I'm no stranger to BlackBerries in general, I've owned a few over the years. I also have a Curve 9360 as a backup unit.

I just bought this Bold last month from my carrier as the Curve is a little too small for my big hands. I've been trying to update it to 7.1, but seems to get stuck in a boot loop every time the desktop software/apploader try to reconnect to the JVM interface. I've tried to use every trick that I know to knock it out of it's boot loop, I've even wiped it using BBSAK (and JLCommander) and reloaded everything from scratch...

Anyway, it seems that if I stick with version 7 of the OS, it works fine. However, I'd like to get 7.1 installed so I can use the hotspot feature. So... I'm trying to wonder if it's a software bug or if the NAND is toast. Heck, the touchscreen hasn't worked from day 1 (it's not an issue for me as long as the trackpad doesn't die). So yeah, I haven't had this thing for more than a month and I'm past the 15 day/30 mins of usage return policy of my carrier... looks like it's warranty time, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance! Also, don't be shy to get all technical on me, I'm all for it!

- Michael Artelle
Webmaster / Server Admin / The "HELP ME!" Guy Everyone Calls...
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bold 9900 - Update OS to 7.1 results in boot loop, no matter how many reloads...

All good background and detailed info.

What OS file did you load, and what process of loading the OS file did you use?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: Bold 9900 - Update OS to 7.1 results in boot loop, no matter how many reloads...

Howdy,

I tried with 7.1 Bundle 902 and 2408 (I could be off with those numbers), both were obtained from RIM's site.

As for installation, I tried with both the Desktop Manager and AppLoader (also tried with /nojvm) and no dice. A downgrade to 7.0 works fine though.
- Michael Artelle
New Contributor

Soo... no tips folks?

- Michael Artelle

Hey, sorry.

Try using the BBSAK to wipe the device (different than a security wipe, it deletes the everything) to an error 507 which means no OS is detected.

Then I'd use loader.exe to install the OS file, and this download of 7.1.0.1033

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=7D2A383E54274888B4B73B97E1AA...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Yeah, I've already done that 4 times. Twice with BBSAK and twice with JL_Commander. No dice, I'm hoping that it  isn't board going nuts.

- Michael Artelle

Oh, you hadn't mentioned that specifically, so I don't know what all you've tried then.

Perhaps a fifth time.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I've tried it several times with different versions of 7.1 from different Telcos and it's resulted in the same problem when it hits 'Reconnecting to JVM' after copying apps... reboot loop. I knocked it out of the the reboot loop only to encounter the famous 507.

Heh, looks like I'm stuck with a brick or a tempermental board.

- Michael Artelle

"after copying apps" ?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Yep, after reloading system applications (aka. 'Waiting for device initialization')

Screenshot: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4-IqMUE7hfddVBPS0Rpb2ViM3c/

- Michael Artelle