Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: A1

Bold 9900 keeps resetting (no software issue)

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I own a Blackberry 9900 Smartphone. For some time i have the problem that the phone keeps resetting itself. The strange thing is it only does that when its not connected to a power source through the cable and is running on the battery. When i lay it down on the table for example and i do that a little bit to rough it just shuts itself down. Or when it is shaken it shuts itself down also. What i noticed is, that the "water indicators" are both red on phone and battery. The phone didn't get wet and no water was near the device. I suspect it got red from the moisture in the bathroom. I once had it layed on a shelf when it was steamy in there.

I tried software updates, cleaning the electrical contacts with pure alcohol but nothing helps. Is it possible that the battery is just broken and the problem will go away with a new battery.

Please help Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance,

nanth

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Re: Bold 9900 keeps resetting (no software issue)

I was thinking something in the power components is broken and separates during acceleration (vibration or shock)....until I got to the mention of moisture exposure

Remove the battery now and dry the device thoroughly. There is a good article at blackberryfaq.com on this. Hopefully it isn't too late.
- Ira
New Contributor

I have found the problem. The battery is a little bit to small for the device. So if under shock the contacts on the bottom of the battery case seperate from the battery and the phone restarts. I put a paper in between case and the battery on the top and now it works like a charm.

Best regards

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

[ Edited ]

That's interesting.  I said I was thinking of other issues until you mentioned the possibility of moisture.  That issue with the battery was in the back of my mind, but I dismissed it because the battery fits so tight.  This was something to think about back in the day with earlier models and people would use a business card to make a shim when needed to hold the battery in place.  I wouldn't have thought the 9900 could have a loose battery, not with an OEM battery anyway.

- Ira
New Contributor

No problem, ira. I recognized the battery is a little bit loose and thought that might be the problem and put a little pice of folded paper in it. I use the OEM battery that came with the phone.

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Was this the actual fix mine keeps doing the same think resetting its self