Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: SFR

Bold 9900 will not switch to 2G

My Bold 9900 is set for 2G & 3G operation but it will never go to 2G.  When I'm in an area of weak or no 3G coverage it only show SOS until it can reconnect on the 3G network.  If I try to force it to 2G and scan to see if the 2G network is available, I get the same result of SOS.  I know by testing with other phones that there is good 2G coverage where I live.

My home network is SFR in France.

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Bold 9900 will not switch to 2G

Hey pgrillo,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

Connecting to a 2G Network is dependent on the network service provider, the provider may only request 3G or H+ connections to the BlackBerry Bold 9900 smartphone.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: SFR

Re: Bold 9900 will not switch to 2G

Dear Vicious Ferret:

Thank you very much for your response.  I suspected that something like this was the cause.

This week I was able to do a side by side comparison with another Bold 9900 on the same network and that phone was able to freely switch between 2G and 3G.  Does it make sense that the request is at the individual phone level?  I'm out of my home area right now but will pursue this with my mobile operator once I'm back.

Regards,

pgrillo