Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
Accepted Solution

Bold 9900

As a long time user of a BB device (both for work and for personal use), if what I read about the forthcoming Bold 9900 is correct, it will be a major disappointment. Why oh why will it continue to use the 3G standard, which now is 10 years out of date!!! Why not use the current 4G standard. This can only result in a shrinking customer base. Any thoughts / updates on this issue? Regards.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bold 9900

4G standard?

All those terms are just marketing terminology which the public has fallen prey to. For example, the Verizon 3G is no where as fast as ATT 3G. It's all relative.

Besides, the 9900/9930 aren't released yet and we certainly don't know the final specs.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

So, it's just marketing terminology and we are too stupid to understand. I am glad you enlightened me. Why not got back to 2G then? Would you support that?  I know it has not been released yet - please give me the courtesy of reading what I posted - I said "if what I read" and the "forthcoming"... I am well aware it has not been, and will not be until sometime this summer, so I read, but the product that RIM showcased at a recent event was based on the 3G standard. Just asking and reporting the news.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

You asked for thoughts or updates on this issue.  JSanders then supplied his thoughts.  Then, and this is my interpretation of it, you basically called him stupid.

You asked a question and he answered it.  If you're already getting the info you seek from leaked sources and trade shows, please stay away from these forums.  Better yet, take the abundance of information you have and inform others when they ask questions here.  We can always use another BlackBerry whiz around these parts.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Wow. Heated thread.

From what I've read, there is nothing in the US that comes close to what is going to be the "official" 4G. All the companies claiming to have 4G just have something (maybe) faster than 3G.

As far as I know, there isn't an official 4G, yet. The standard hasn't been approved. My son just bought a phone that claims to be 4G, but like the 802.11n wireless routers that were out before the standard was approved, you don't know what you're really getting.

PrimeSequence wrote:

Just asking and reporting the news.

Then you should note in your comments that you are a reporter and please use common journalistic 'standards' and place sources for your authoritative quotes.  Smiley Wink

Anyways, it's a forum here, which prompts discussion, from any and all who choose to post. If you do not want opinions and discssion by others (even from those who do not agree with you), buy your own blog and lock down the comments area so only you can post.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Re: Bold 9900 reply from BillJ

Although I disagree with your interpretation, I nonetheless thank you for your predominantly constructive comments. But I have neither the time nor the inclination to continue what, in my estimation, has quickly turned into a useless debate. And I certainly don’t have the background or knowledge to go up against a ‘Hall of Famer I.’ So, I will take my leave, but before doing so, I wish to note the following observations for both the benefit of the funders of the forum and new contributors:

1. My limited exposure to this forum suggests it is not a ‘community’ forum (as I understand the meaning of community) but more of a clique of self-serving persons, let alone persons who are supportive.
  2. The inference you draw from my comments can just as well be drawn from the first response by JSanders, although I had no intention of calling him ‘stupid.’
  3. There are no grounds for either of you casting aspersions, thereby causing a distraction from what I wish to discuss, by making (in passing) unjustified assumptions about the source of my information, or for JSanders to assume I am ‘reporter’ simply because I used the phrase ‘reporting the news.’
  4. I read what is published in the media – I have neither access to insider information nor am I a reporter.
  5. It is disingenuous, insulting and argumentative for JSanders to state the forum ‘prompts discussion, from any and all who choose to post,’ and then suggest I ‘buy [my] own blog and lock it down …’
  6. I came looking for opinion and discussion, and indeed knowledge, but instead received only dismissive, self-aggrandizing statements and opinions.
  7. I believe the onus is on the anointed ones, who presumably have greater insights into the workings of these celestial matters, to help us mere mortals understand better what is going on, instead of dismissing us with two liners.
  8. If you (plural you) don’t have the time to do so, I would suggest others who are truly committed to providing a supportive, informative, and value-added forum be given the task of doing so.

By the way, the kudo was meant for you, but I seem unable to reverse its allocation.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Thank you for your response.

Despite any statements or opinions that were voiced, we remain here to help anyone who requests it.

Please visit us again if you require assistance with anything.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thank you BillJ for your kind offer. But I think I will pass on it (I know, who cares). In the future, I will try to find my own answers as I do not intend to be subjected to sarcastic, dismissive ... comments from the forum's community of 'helpful' advisers. Take care and thank you for understanding. Best regards.

[ Edited ]

Oh, come on, man! I answered your initial question politely, and factually, as well.

Your question:

PrimeSequence wrote:

Why not use the current 4G standard. This can only result in a shrinking customer base. Any thoughts / updates on this issue?

There is no 4G standard.

Which I answered with:

4G standard?

All those terms are just marketing terminology which the public has fallen prey to. For example, the Verizon 3G is no where as fast as ATT 3G. It's all relative.

Besides, the 9900/9930 aren't released yet and we certainly don't know the final specs.

And with which you responded with... sarcasm, mostly.

So again, if you're a "journalist" reporting the news...oh wait, you're not. You just use that term that you're reporting the news and expect me to know you're actually not. So, I kindly stated, this is a forum for help, discussion and support on devices. You can't control who posts in your threads... if you want a pile of "me toos" jumping in to just applaud you, so be it. This is not the place for that.

As far as your continued personal attacks on me... whatever. That's your problem. So if you want to stick and around and discuss, you're very welcome to do so, but remember it is not always only in your terms. Other people here (like myself) have opinions also. I certainly apologize for any perceived threat you felt my from simple, quick answers. They were not intended to offend you.

Knowledge Base Updates