Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9930
My Carrier: verizon

Bold 9930 Trackball works only sometimes

BlackBerry 9930

I am a technician configuring a BB for a customer.  I just wiped the device and reloaded the OS, including the base software and a few specific programs I've installed on every other blackberry I've done as per company standard.  I've tried multiple battery pulls and I've tried reloading the OS through the blackberry desktop software, and it hasn't fixed my issue:

The trackpad only works in specific menus, and it seems to half-work in others, requiring me to use the touchscreen to navigate.  Specifically, it WILL work if the selection is currently in the app list, or if I am in the Options.  It does NOT work to transition from the home screen to the app list, when viewing the user agreement after pushing programs through desktop manager, and it does not work at all when I am in the Setup.  It doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, because the trackpad seems to specifically work in some areas and not work in others.  When it works, it works 100%, and when it doesn't work it is useless.

Are there troubleshooting steps I should attempt, or is this an issue that would be better handled by the carrier?  The phone technically "works" but I don't want to give a phone with limited functionality to this customer.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Bold 9930 Trackball works only sometimes

Does the trackpad work reliably if you test it in the on-board diagnostics?

To enter diagnostics go to Options >Status. On the Status page type T E S T and follow the prompts to run through the diagnostics on the trackpad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9930

I had to use the touchscreen to get to the diagnostics, and to select the options within the diagnostics. The touchpad worked flawlessly within the diagnostic page.  I again had to use the touchscreen to select whether or not the test was successful.

I'm starting to think this isn't a hardware issue.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

The only thing left to do is a clean OS reload and load NO 3rd party apps or other user data.

Use BBSAK or JL_Cmder to wipe the device so that it gives a 507 error. Then reload the OS. Don't load anything extra.

If it still doesn't work after that then there is something wrong hardware-wise, even though it hardly seems like it.

I haven't heard of this problem so it's not a major OS bug or something like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: blackberry 9930

I have the same problem with my 9930 from verizon. Loaded an os and the trackpad only works in some menus! Help!
My Device: 9630, 9650, 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

I am an IT professional with over 330 Bold 9930's on Verizon and I can tell you this is a regularly occurring issue with this particular model of phone. Since the trackpad works flawlessly in most menus and you only have to use the touchpad occasionally I really think it's a glitch in the OS. Just my input as someone who supports many of these devices on a daily basis.
Contributor
My Device: 9300, 8520, 9780, 9360, 9810
My Carrier: CellC South Africa

Its not OS its LCD change your LCD and put another if it persist try display IC
gtyms