Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm2 9520
Accepted Solution

Bold Battery draining - overheating issues

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

I'm new here even I have BlackBerry for almost 2 years (Curve 3000) and I was really happy with it (no issues) then I bought Bold on Saturday and had major draining battery - overheating issues!! I've downloaded new software from T-Mobile Croatia site (the last one they have but that didn't help) after recharging and staying over night it went flat in 6-7 hours so I went today (Monday) and they swapped the device for me, now I'm waiting to see what will happen again. I have 4 questions:

1. Can I download new version of device software from BlackBerry site even I bought it in T-Mobile Croatia and will that have any consequences on device? If yes what will they be?

2. What is causing this battery draining - overheating problems and how can they be stopped? 

3. Is Facebook app in conflict with Bold? Yes I do have it on mine.

4. Are any other apps in conflict with it, i.e. Windows Live Messenger because I have that one on it too?

Thanks in Advance!

Message Edited by mnacin306 on 08-03-2009 11:59 PM
Marina
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bold Battery draining - overheating issues

1. No consequences...  the latest version of the Bold device OS is located here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9000-series-discussion-bold/194263-os-9000-bold-4-6-0-477-4-...

2. Could be a number of issues, several. For one, do you have 3G enabled on your Bold, (Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options ?, and do you have a 3G Network with Tmobile Croatia? I don't know offhand, you could ask that. If your device is constantly searching for a 3G network and not finding it, that will cause great battery drain.

Check your applications running in the background. There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are others such as BeamBerry and Alarms which will also run). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (should return the bookmarks page only). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

3. No.The FB app is developed by RIM.

4. What do you mean "in conflict"?

Read this about your battery and charging:

http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/05/20/battery-use-tips-for-your-maximum-battery-life/

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks for your answer at 1. and 3. question Smiley Happy

2. we do have 3G network here but signal is not strong all the time so that might be the part of the problem. Only one app besides 5 standard is runing and that's Windows live messenger.

4. by conflict I thought it might not be the compatibile with the software or causing problems because I've seen on several places that Facebook can cause some isusses on Bold but that's not true so YAY Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the tips for battery and charging also Smiley Happy

What about overheating? It was hot Smiley Sad never happened on curve and I used it a lot.

Marina

I wouldn't worry about the warmth. The battery on the bold is much more powerful than the curve.

I am currently using a Storm, and it does get very warm, often over 100 deg. F, to charge.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Thanks again, I'll see what will happen tomorrow. Fingers crossed Smiley Happy Btw my network mode is set at 3G&2G not only at 3G.

I'm hoping it will work fine, I really like it if T-Mobile had Storm I would bought that one. Is it hard to get used at Touch screen after Querty keyboard? 

Marina

I think I am a slower typer on the Storm than the Bold, but I love the big screen on the Storm.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Make sure you turn off programs that you are not using, especially stuff like googlemaps.
Contributor

Don't have google maps but thanks Smiley Happy
Marina
Contributor

Just to tell you that it was a device problem, got new and that one is working on lol least it was till I updated to new software now can't go on mobile.blackberry.com ughhh berry problems
Marina
Visitor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Alltell

I purchased a Bold in December and was getting 4 days between battery charges even when I had several applications and used them often.  Several weeks ago a new OS took over, downloaded then reset.  Now the battery drains in 4 hours even with all apps removed-  A small curser-like clock pops up often and seems to run an inordinately long time while emails post or I change applicaitons.  Last week I tried a new battery and have the same problem.  If I want to use the phone for calls and email it has to be charging.  HELP!