Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Bold Crashes!

Its not a question, more of a statement, really.
I would like to complain about the quality of BlackBerry Bold.
Surely, you get many emails of similar nature, but I felt like sharing my thoughts.

The most important thing about smartphones positioned for businesspeople is reliability.
Media player can be weak, camera- same- these features do not really matter.
I am not even going to mention the battery- I knew it was very weak before I bought BBBold.
But basic reliability is very important- the phone must stay on and provide connection to
mobile network whenever possible.

Bold crashes. Bold.. freezes. It is obviously very annoying when you see it- especially if
you are either expecting an important call or have to make an urgent one. It is even more unpleasant
when a phone is in your pocket (bag, desk). One can walk for half an hour not even knowing that
he is out of reach.

Had it been one of multimedia toys- it would have been annoying but not criminal.
But missing a business opportunity because of a gadget that is supposed to become some sort
of electronic PA... PAs get sacked for that sort of service.

I know I could send the piece for diagnostic. But firstly, who can really live even several days
without a mobile these days? and, secondly, BBB disappoints, although on rather regular basis,
but not every day- diagnostic might not find anything and I end up having same problems after weeks
of waiting and losing all personal data.

Even one crash is enough to lose trust and get mobile-paranoid for life.

So, as I said, I do not really expect this letter to lead anywhere.
Just expressing my extreme disappointment.
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Bold Crashes!

Do you have any specific questions about issues on which you would like to get help here?

There are a number of talented experts here who might be willing to assist you. However, if you only came to post the rant, as you said, you have done just that.

For me, the Bold has been my most solid BlackBerry yet out of many that I have owned (well maybe the 8700 was pretty darn good too) and I have not had a moment's trouble out of it.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I am all open to suggestions.
Has anyone else faced similar problems (and solved them)?

My BBB is brand new, coming from O2 vendor. Standard software. The only thing I added- a couple of music files.
Sometimes the smartphone reboots at random by itself for no apparent reason.
Yesterday it froze for half an hour (running watch pictogram showing).
Taking battery out did not help- I googled solution (alt+shift+del) that worked eventually.

If there is anything I can do, please share.
Thanks!
New Contributor

I am all open to suggestions.
Has anyone else faced similar problems (and solved them)?

My BBB is brand new, coming from O2 vendor. Standard software. The only thing I added- a couple of music files.
Sometimes the smartphone reboots at random by itself for no apparent reason.
Yesterday it froze for half an hour (running watch pictogram showing).
Taking battery out did not help- I googled solution (alt+shift+del) that worked eventually.

If there is anything I can do, please share.
Thanks!

New Contributor

Been there, done that.  Two things helped.  First, get the latest version of the OS, much more stable.  I got mine from:

https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareDownload/index.jsp?client=Rc4cZBaBN

Secondly, tap the back of the until agressively - mine was "crashing" because there was too much space between the battery and the case.  I stuck a folded piece of paper in there and it solved the problem.

Good Luck

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Agreed ^^.

and a thin business card laid on top of the battery will do the trick if the battery seems loose.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks very much - I will try both.
I wonder, however, if I am the only person around thinking that a phone that needs
pieces of paper put inside to stay stable hardly qualifies as ‘solid’...
Regular Contributor

honestly, I have at least 1 problem a week with my Bold. My bold reset itself at least once a week. Whether it be on my desk or in my pocket, I've seen it reset itself. So, I could be unreachable for a good period of time if I have my bold reset itself in my pocket. And yes I do have a namecard just under the back cover to support the battery. And if I go underground where there's no signal for a period of time, my BB will go into "sim card not allowed". Once I got the "sim card not allowed" message, my BB will stop working unless I reset it.
New Contributor

Jesus. In perspective, my bb DOES work like Swiss clockwork
Visitor

You are not alone!

I bought my Bold on Nov 4 2008, the first day it went on sale in the US (ATT).

At 45 days the phone died and could not be revived. ATT sent me a new phone and 3 days later, the same thing.

ATT sent me another phone and it has been working since (about 3 wks so far).

HOWEVER, this phone crashes several times a week. Sometimes several times a day.

The battery appears to fit very secure so I don't think that is the problem.

I can be on a phone call and spontaneously the call is dropped and the indicator light goes red and the screen blank. After about one minute the indicator goes blank and the screen comes on with the small clock icon. After about two minutes the ATT screen appears and the phone displays the message "verifying security" and the phone works again.

Needless to say this is a PITA.

This phone has not been reliable. I have already put ATT on notice that when this phone fails I want my money back and I will buy an Iphone. ATT has agreed to this too!

I don't really like the Iphone as much as my BB but I can not have reliability issues with my business phone.

Steve

southern CA