Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Bold WiFi grey icon

As I have determined, the grey wifi icon does NOT mean the device will not use wi-fi to browse the internet. It only means the blackberry email is not available via that connected wifi access point.  i have been able to surf using the blackberry browser when connected to an access point with a grey wifi icon; verifying this by disconnecting the Mobile Network (home --> network connections) while surfing.

New Contributor

I'm sorry, but this issue is NOT resolved for me. I have tried everything mentioned in these postings to no avail. I was on the phone with tier-3 AT&T tech support who were essentially clueless. They transfered me to RIM tech support and I have been on the phone with them for about two hours now also to no avail. WTF?

Does anybody also notice that every WiFi login splash page that pops up in the Hotspot Browser does not render properly so you cannot click the "accept" button or whatever is required? How unbelievably frustrating! After all this wait for the Bold, WiFi is completely useless to me on this wonderful device. RIM needs to get it together. This is absurd.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Please post a new thread, is more easy for you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Contributor

jakestarr wrote:

I'm sorry, but this issue is NOT resolved for me. I have tried everything mentioned in these postings to no avail. I was on the phone with tier-3 AT&T tech support who were essentially clueless. They transfered me to RIM tech support and I have been on the phone with them for about two hours now also to no avail. WTF?

Does anybody also notice that every WiFi login splash page that pops up in the Hotspot Browser does not render properly so you cannot click the "accept" button or whatever is required? How unbelievably frustrating! After all this wait for the Bold, WiFi is completely useless to me on this wonderful device. RIM needs to get it together. This is absurd.

Have you tried going to an AT&T Hotspot like Starbucks or Borders? You should see the wifi icon turn white when connected at these places. You can always wipe the device and reload the OS. Most of us have no real problems with wifi connectivity.

New Contributor

Yes, I have been to AT&T hotspots at several Starbucks. All I ever get is the grey icon and a login splash page that cannot be used because it doesn't render properly. And after some searching on the Internet, this problem seems to be VERY prevalent with Bold users on AT&T. If the techs at AT&T or RIM weren't able to solve it, what can I do besides just never use WiFi? Or return the Bold and get a crappy iPhone that works perfectly in the same situations. Lame...
Contributor

jakestarr wrote:
Yes, I have been to AT&T hotspots at several Starbucks. All I ever get is the grey icon and a login splash page that cannot be used because it doesn't render properly. And after some searching on the Internet, this problem seems to be VERY prevalent with Bold users on AT&T. If the techs at AT&T or RIM weren't able to solve it, what can I do besides just never use WiFi? Or return the Bold and get a crappy iPhone that works perfectly in the same situations. Lame...

Have you tried to wipe te bold and reload the .167 OS? If that doesn't work then your bold has a hardware problem. Hopefully you can get it exchanged. My wifi has been solid at home and AT&T hotspots. Connects fully automatically.

Highlighted
Contributor

Here's something to try which should work for those how have tried everything:

1. turn off wifi in manage connections

2. options->advanced options->host routing table - highlight Wifi[60] - hit menu key and select register

3. turn on wifi connection

Remember you must have a blackberry data plan so your wifi connection gets registered.

Contributor

Hi Everyone,

It is advisable that you start a new topic in a new thread. For this section, a problem was already solved. And then someone again started a new question in this thread........The reason is, i keep getting emails on this thread whenever someone posts something. 

[ Edited ]

From WHSBUS

whsbuss wrote:

Here's something to try which should work for those how have tried everything:

1. turn off wifi in manage connections

2. options->advanced options->host routing table - highlight Wifi[60] - hit menu key and select register

3. turn on wifi connection

Remember you must have a blackberry data plan so your wifi connection gets registered.

This finally worked for me...

Note: for My BB, it had worked perfectly with wifi (Green check mark) then suddenly stopped one day without warning. Green check mark replaced with dreaded white/grey "-".

Changing to Hotspot Browser had no effect....

The "manage connections" dialogue box has a lag time of up to 10 seconds so you have to wait to see if things can happen....about 3 minutes after "registering" the host table, the green check mark reappeared for the first time in 4 days.  

Note: this is on my home wifi, running only WEP from a standard Linksys router, Time Warner Cable connction

Message Edited by thechimp on 12-21-2008 03:01 PM
New Contributor

Re: Bold WiFi

i just bought a bb thru att recently and i havent really looked into it but i did try to use the wi-fi at home and it said that i am connected, it even has a check and a black and white wi-fi mark at the top of the screen but for some reason when i try to get on the internet thru bb browser it gives me a message saying "unable to connect tot he internet, please try again. if the problem persist please contact your service provieder." and it does dat everytime i use wi-fi. can someone please help me because i want to disconnect my internet and start using w-fi since it everywhere now. can someone walk me thru it. remember i havent really looked at the phone yet so wen you explain please be thorough