Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Bold and Mac OS X 10.5

I've been trying to get my Bold to work with my Mac with various success.

Success #1: Got it to work as a modem over bluetooth (used these instructions http://www.vimeo.com/963933, along with these to configure for rogers http://poormanstech.blogspot.com/2007/09/use-your-blackberry-as-bluetooth-modem.html -- used internet.com address for where the mac asks for phone number.)

Despite this success, I'm still having a couple of challenges:

Failure #1: Isn't coming up as a mass storage device.

Since I can't do #1, I tried to use bluetooth to send files, which leads too...

Failure #2: When I try to send a file from berry (Photo) to mac via blue tooth it fails.

Fialure #3: When I try to send a mp3 from mac to berry it fails. 

Pocketmac and Missing Sync won't let me send mp3's to it, or sync photos as there is no micro SD in the unit.

Does anyone have any experience with bluetooth, blackberries and the Mac? I'm hoping to be able to get the file sharing working between the two so I can transfer photos back and forth.

Thanks,

mcs

New Contributor

Re: Bold and Mac OS X 10.5

Hi, 

I've been able to bluetooth pics from my mac to my bold but it seems sensitive to file size.  In order to check to see if bluetooth is at least working, try a small file size (under 1mb) for testing.  Also remember you need to be in the Media section of your Bold and select the "Receive Using Bluetooth" option first before initiating the send from the mac.  btw, I'm assuming you have the devices successfully paired? 

J. 

New Contributor

I've been able to send a small file to the blackberry-- so maybe its just a limit on file transfer size in Bluetooth?
New Contributor

Yeah, that's what I suspect that it is (file size)...I bought Missing Synch for the Mac and my Bold and it allows me to synch through iPhoto both ways (in addition to contacts, calendar, music, etc) and would highly recommend it.  The larger photo files transferred no problem.  See http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_blackberry.php
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting... my missing sync won't let me transfer photos and music. What version are you running?

Edit: Do you have a micro SD card in your machine?

Message Edited by scherem on 09-01-2008 11:07 PM
New Contributor

I'm running 1.0.3 (75).

Yes, I have an 8GB Micro SD card in it. 

Assuming you have a card, and if you haven't already done so, in Options > Memory you need the following settings:

- Media Card Support = On

- Enable Mass Storage Support = On

- Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: = Yes

In missing synch prefs, it's a good idea to check Eject Card = On Quite and After Synch in order to avoid any media mount/dismount problems.

On the Bold also make the SD card the default storage location for your music/pictures/video.

J.

New Contributor

Ah sorry...I just re-read your original post - you don't have a memory card installed?  If not, then missing synch won't work - it needs a card.

J.

New Contributor

Hi there.

I do have a card and have done all you said, and it tells me that the memory card is not available because the mass storage mode is in use.  Any comment that could help me. Thanks in advance

New Contributor

Try this...

- In the Preferences section of Missing Synch

- Check boxes for Eject Card 1) On Quit 2) After Sync

- It may still be mounted from previous use, you can also manually eject by clicking the Eject icon from the top right of the main screen

- Then try again

J.