Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Bold connects to Wifi but cannot connect to internet

Hi,  I hope someone can help me?

I have a bold and am connected with O2, my home wireless router is "this one" its a safecom, it's an oldie but works 100% perfect.

My broadband service provider is Virgin, again no issues there.

Here is the problem.  I have connected my Bold to my wireless network, i have a perfect conection, on the manage connections screen I have wifi check box ticked to show it is on, I have the name of my wireless network and it is in green to signify a connection but further along I have a " - " where I am ( I believe ) supposed to see a green tick.

I have changed browser settings to "hotspot" and followed some comprehensive guides to help sorting this out but I still cannot use my home broadband to connect to the net.  I can see the wifi icon greyed out, which i believe states that wifi is on but not using the connection?

I have stopped / changed settings on the phone to stop it using O2 to access the net hoping to force it to use the internet/wifi conection but I get the error message telling me that it cannot connect and to contact my service provider.

I have been to O2, they have instructed me to go to Virgin ( no luck there, they tried to get me to sign up to a connection...I am already connected.....lights on, no one home !! )

Does anyone know if it is a broadband issue or O2 issue or a user issue !!!  And whats the fix?

Here are ( is ) the comprehensive guide I have followed

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/complete-wifi-how-47229/

Thanks in advance

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000 T-Mob UK

Re: Bold connects to Wifi but cannot connect to internet

It probably sounds obvious but are you sure you've but the correct security key in?

Otherwise, try deleting your router entry (under WiFi options) and re-searching for WiFi and re-entering the security key.

JD

When all else fails, just ask your friend what happened. They won't know but at least your both failing in style!

Please consider Kudos when I help you resolve an issue!
New Contributor

Hi JD,

Thanks for your quick response.  I have done as you have advised, I even copied and pasted to avoid typo's.

As I have mentioned, I can connect to my network but for some reason can't connect to the net, I have either got some settings on my bold incorrectly set or my router is preventing it from using it's services, or allowing it to go online.

Do you think I may have a system version that is uncompatiable with some of the help topics i have used online?  I am wondering if one of my settings are checked/unchecked incorrectly?  I don't know how to tell what OS version I am using..  it's all doomed Smiley Sad

Thanks again JD

D

New Contributor

I am also facing the exact same issue!!! so fustrating cos you see it there and still no joy in connecting.

the wi fi icon is still on the home screen and is greyed out so the device has picked it up but wont connect.

Help Help Help!!!!!!!!

I dont believe people let this thread died without getting a solution. I ve been searching in the net and I have found ton of thread with the exact same problem with everyone input ther observation on it but solving nothing. I going to keep posting here until I get a solution since I have the exact same problem,

Thanks in advance,

RGS

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone

omg i have almost the same problem wit my bb ..But mine  connects to my wireless network @ home whenever it wants!! .I mean I cannot connect if I want 2 use it  anytime ,just probably 3 times a week when my phone decides LOL   I can see the network etc just when I connect it says "fail to obtain server ".And idk what to do .I wanted 2 download a theme 4 my phone LOL  ,turned out I have 2 have b email..well I don't  ,and I can't get one cuz I need to have wireless on my phone so I can do it.Can some help me !!!pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

New Contributor

i solved this problem by upgrading the firmware on my wireless router. not had a problem since.
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone

IM not sure if I can do dat,but I guess my career will know .Thank u ,also do u know how to get a blacberry personal email ..without wireless on my phone...