Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: SFR
Accepted Solution

Bold crashes too often

Hi,

I've had this problem for a long time now. I do not remember if my phone used to crash when i first bought it, but i think this problem came later on as i started using it.

My OS version is : v5.0.0.400 (i think this is the latest) and platform (5.1.0.110)

I've noticed that my phone often crash when i using the phone browser, ex: while on facebook, it just randomly crashes and also when i'm using the facebook for blackberry application. It's only when i'm performing these two tasks that my phones crashes. My phone's carrier is SFR (france). When i say it crashes, i mean it freezes for a second or two, screen goes white and then followed by the LED indicator. then it just reboots.

Memory status:

freespace : 75.8 MB

Mediacard freespace: 1.7 GB. (don't have much stuff on my phone, i also performed the memory cleaning thing but it didn't help).

I read through other similar forums but couldnt find a solution. I have also tried uninstalling the fb app but the browser problem's still there. Also it doesn't matter if my wifi is on or off, the phone still crashes.

Could anyone suggest a solution to this, and also why this happens only with the browser and fb app?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Bold crashes too often

First of all, that isn't the latest version of the OS for the 9700. I know you can get OS 6, if you want it. Don't know if your carrier is offering it yet or not, but several are.

I'm going to guess that the particular OS you are using has an issue. Try getting a different one and installing it.

New Contributor

No it seems it's not available on my carrier yet. I tried performing a wireless update but it says no updates available. However what you said is true, that OS is officially available for Bold 9700 now and is available for download on the vodafone website, but i just wanted to know if its okay to download and install it on my phone despite the fact that it's not been made official by my carrier yet?

New Contributor

Thank you so very much. I upgraded to OS 6 and it seems much more stable now. No crashes so far while using fb app Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

kandyfloss, your last question went unanswered so let me jump in.

Downloading and installing an OS that is not yet released by your carrier will void any support from your carrier.  That being said, anything you need to know about your phone, plus a whole lot more, is available in these forums.

I applaud you for taking action on your own and I encourage you to come back here with any questions you have about your phone.  Smiley Happy

P.S.  "kandyfloss"......cool name!

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.