Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Bold on Orange UK. Experience of v4.6.0.126

Sat 6th.

The Bold has not rebooted spontainiously nor frozen since loading this os. The phone stays working .

All though for me is not well.

There are I believe other big issues with the way the Browser works. With BBC.co.uk/mobile I cannot get a video file to play. I have downloaded a WMV file and saved. it. When it is then opened in the media player I receive two messages. 1. Error playing and 2 The media being played is of an unsupported format. I thought that a) WMV IS A SUPPORTED FORMAT and note that is plays perfectly well on my 8820!. This sort of viewing is surely a key function of this sort of device.

If anyone out there can make this work please let me know. At this point I do not think I am causing the problem.

The next issue is also related to trying to play web site media using as an example the BBC site again, often attempts to play video are met with the Browser going into a protracted script running sequence and then.... displaying the page I started with perhaps a minute before. I do seem to have little success browsing!

Other video downloaded via the desktop manager is excellent.

If my experiences are validated I do hope high priority is given to fixing them. Is there any news or rumours of a new build being available?

Until now I have been a great fan of RIM but now my enthusiasm is rapidly waning. Today I even went as far as checking out an iPhone, shock horror!.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold

Frederick, back away from the iPhone!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

I must admit, I was thinking about getting an iPhone a while back before the BOLD came out.

I thought I would hold on 'til the price dropped a bit but it is still expensive to get. On the same contract I am on now, where my BOLD was free, with the iPhone I would have to pay £149, a bit much really.

After looking at them together and looking at all the details, I decided the BOLD was the best for my business, the iPhone seemed more for entertainment and mainly, I would be continually cleaning that touch screen, (the BOLD's screen is bad enough to keep clean and that's not a touch one).

Kirk

Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
Contributor

Re: Bold on Orange UK. 12 Days use and many problems.

I have become frustrated that I cant play video from the Beeb. For me the browser experience is poor (see my other posts). I tried it for 3 weeks, put up with the crashes and freezes but now, I'm sad to say I've had enough.

I have recommissioned my 8820. That does the biz.

The Bold is going back. Other devices will be considered.

In the words of the Dragons...........I'm out.

Contributor

Oh Frederick Smiley Sad

I gave my Bold back about an hour ago. Went to the orange shop and was there for an hour waiting for the manager to sign off then he didnt come in so assistant was given permission to sign off. He was then on the phone for 1/2 an hour trying to convince Orange that its not acceptable to have a phone that wont work indoors. Because it works outdoors there isnt a problem!  Anyhow i'm back to my Pearl. The Bold is coming out on T mobile, Vodafone and O2 so I will give them a go. I'm hoping the problem is with Orange and not with the other networks but until I try them I won't know.  Will look at other phones but the Bold really is the perfect one for me. I want a mini PC in my pocket! Blackberry has totally spoilt me now!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10, Playbook, Bold 9790
My Carrier: O2, Vodafone

[ Edited ]

I've had my BB for less than a day and found a problem with the screen and I cannot connect Wi-Fi to my D-Link DWL-8200AP access points at work.

The screens' left edge is corrupt, 2mm in width, top to bottom.  Most text is readable but it varies from time-to-time, eg. when in Contacts, part of the first character of each contact appears either 'pixelated' or with a line through it.

The Wi-Fi will not register itself an IP address from the work network which runs DHCP on Win Server 2003, however DHCP clearly indicates that the BB has picked up an IP?!? As the DWL-8200AP has dual radios (802.11a & 802.11b/g) I tried setting Wi-Fi to use 802.11a and b/g manually, but no change.  It connects to Netgear and Belkin wireless routers fine using 802.11b/g.

I'll be taking it into CPW later for them to repair the screen.

Message Edited by chrise on 09-09-2008 12:22 PM
Highlighted
Contributor

I bought a sim free bold and am now using it with my T mobile sim card which is data enabled. Bold came with v4.6.0.126 OS and it doesnt overheat, the battery life is good, I've got 3G, GPRS, MSN, google maps and its all good. Happy at last! Even better, it is sitting on my desk and I have 3G! Who needs Orange! Only thing I cant get is BB maps but that was only since I synched. BB maps looks cack anyhow so not fussed!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

I'm very glad you are happy!!
Regards
Kirk
p.s. Vote for BOLD
New Contributor

Are you getting any application or Java errors? Are you getting the white screen of death? I have had 2 Bold's is less than 2 weeks. My carrier in Canada says that they are waiting for a software patch from RIM. I tried to call RIM but they will not talk to me unless I give them my credit card...how nice is that. The Bold is brand new in Canada and so much for customer service.
New Contributor

Frederick wrote:

I bought my Bold (BB) on the release day to replace an 8820 . This is a listing on the problems I have experienced.

BB reboots itself several times each day. One cause may be (not prove) if there is an incoming message when the media player is running this causes a crash. There may be other causes.

I live in an area of mostly strong  outdoor signal stength but poor indoors. BB frequently looses Orange service both indoors and out and displays SOS only. The only way to restore service is to switch off/on. Often much time may elapse before I note it is not on the air. This for me is a big issue.

The network strength display is often wrong i.e. indicating max strength when in a poor coverage spot. It often freezes. When frozen the BB will not switch off. Removing the battery is the only way to force a reboot. This appears linked to the problem above.

Often a network strength will be indicated but no network name. Reboot resolves.

There is no UMA support. My 8820 had it and it is very useful. I do not know if there are plans to introduce. It will be a big disappointment if the Bold does not offer UMA.

The Desktop Manager b12 in the Orange CD hangs when opening Roxio media manager. b15 on the RIM website seems ok ONCE LOADED. When it was installed it appeared to cause my PC to hang in shutdown. I had to pull the plug!.

The battery lasts max 15 hours with 15 mins calls, 1 hour surfing, 15mins Bluetooth. mixed signal stength area.

I do hope an updated build is available soon.

Oh ....I should add. My Orange 8820 rarely gave any problems at all.

With regards to the Bold losing a signal and then having to switch off/on.

This appears to be an issue with the 3G network coverage in the UK. That is if your phone managed to obtain a 3G signal but loses it, the bold will lose signal and take ages, if at all to rediscover a 2G signal, although you and I know that 2G is available in that area.

Your device is probably set to find both 2G and 3G networks (go to manage connections/mobile network options/network mode). Set to 2G only and you will find the problem goes away, but the downside is that you will be stuck on 2G network only!!! Bit of a catch 22.. But hopefully as 3G improves in terms of coverage (or BB comes up with a fix) this will become less of a problem.