Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Bold wifi radio issue

I use wifi at home and at work. The phone will connect fine the first time after a battery pull. Then when I move out of range, the wifi radio turns itself off.

Trying to reconnect from Manage Connections yields a failed result. No error or anything, just no wifi icon at all. The tick next to the option under MC goes grey for a second or two, the the tick disappears.

Pull the battery and it works again. That's ridiculous. I don't want to pull the battery at least twice a day just to get wifi.

I don't believe this is a router issue or anything to do with any piece of external hardware. I run a Siemens router at home and we run one D-link and one Belkin at work. I have also tried my spare Linksys. All are running fairly low intensity encryption for the sake of compatibility (iphones, multiple brands of laptops, WRT-54G running DD-WRT/Tomato, other wifi phones, xbox etc etc etc), no MAC filtering...nothing.

Also, after the wifi has disconnected itself, I have tried to fool the wifi radio by searching for networks to try kick it back to life. I get a 'failed to initialise wifi device' type error (wording may not be spot on, but it's basically telling me that even the phone itself cannot connect the inbuilt wifi device).

This is definitely some sort of hardware or firmware fault.

This is extremely frustrating as you can imagine and makes me want a Storm even more since the Bold doesn't seem the have the advantage of wifi.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions?

Details:
Device: 9000 Bold
Network: Vodafone NZ
Platform: 4.0.0.181
PIN: 25636469

(Sorry if a post like this has already been made - but I couldn't find one relating after a few searches)
My Device: 8300

Re: Bold wifi radio issue

Yes, it does sound like an OS issue to me...

Contact your carrier to find otu their website and download the latest OS for your Handset (even if it is the same OS).

Upgrade or reload the OS onto the Bold and see fi that helps.

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Highlighted
R3M
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Bold wifi radio issue

I can report the same problem. I have no problems getting between home and work, but when I am traveling and am jumping around between wifi networks, or am out of wifi signal range for a long time, the wifi disables itself and cannot be turned back on by any method other than pulling the battery and then turning it on.