Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9310
My Carrier: Boost Mobile
Accepted Solution

Boost Mobile 9310 BBM not working

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I recently bought two 9310's from Boostmobile.com. I activated the phones and have only phone service and SMS. Pin-to-pin and MMS do not work.

After getting the run around by Boost Mobile customer service (called six times to incapable people that don't have a clue how to diagnose of solve my problem), I eventually talked to someone that discovered that the pin is registered as a Sprint pin not a Boostmobile pin. Because of this, the Boost system will not grant my phone access to BBM.

According to two different tech support people, a Boost pin has letters in the pin and my two new phones from Boostmobile.com do not have any letters in the pin. This is what tipped-off tech support as they thought I was trying to register a Sprint Blackberry.

For the last week, I have not been able to get Boost to activate BBM due to this problem. Since I bought two new phones and they both have this problem, I don't think sending them back to get two more phones will likely solve my problem.

Does anyone know how to get Boost to activate my BBM service? Apparently their system won't let my phones access BBM because the system thinks they are Sprint phones, but Boost has told me they don't know how to solve this problem.

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrated I am with Boost over the many hours of time I have spent on the phone to still not get a resolution.

I talked with Blackberry Support, and they told me they can't help me because this is a Boost problem. But didn't RIM supply Boost with the phone that has the Sprint pin?

Frustrated. Please help.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Boost Mobile 9310 BBM not working

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If all that you say is accurate, then you indeed do need to replace these devices with ones that can function on the Boost network. Given what you've said, these will never work on Boost, so you need ones that will work on Boost.

One BB PIN can exist in only one BIS system anywhere in the world at any given moment. If, as you say, these are actually registered in the Sprint BIS system, then there is no way for Boost to register them into their system until Sprint releases the PINS from their system.

Also, there sometimes are differences with the radios in a particular model, even if they carry the same model number. One 9310 (e.g.,) may have radios compatible with the Sprint network, while anothers are only compatible with the Boost network. I don't know if this applies in your situation, but it seems a possibility as well.

You really need to insist that Boost live up to the contract you've signed with them for both the purchase of these devices as well as the delivery of your services. Contractually, they are responsible to deliver services to you, and if that means swapping out the devices, then so be it.

I too find it interesting that Boost has devices from Sprint...but I think there may be other reasons behind the "why" rather than simply that BlackBerry delivered them to Boost that way. Instead, maybe these aren't even "brand new" but rather are returns that Boost mistakenly took in?

In any event, it seems, from what you describe, pretty simple to me...insist that Boost live up to their contract with you, and if that means swapping out the devices, then so be it.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply.

I think I should say that Sprint owns Boost and Boost is the "No Contract" part of Sprint.

Therefore, I am starting to think this is a RIM problem because RIM produced the phone this way. Maybe I should get RIM to honor their warranty?

...or, since Boost and Sprint are the same, get Boost to make the phone work?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

BlackBerry services nothing directly with end users, including warranty. Contractually, the carriers, authorized resellers, and authorized service centers (it varies by region and issue) are responsible for all service, including warranty -- they can escalate to BlackBerry if necessary, but end users cannot bypass their contracts and seek anything directly from BlackBerry.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I found Boostmobile.com will take the phones back, but I have to pay for shipping.

Awesome customer service!!! I Buy two new phones from Boostmobile.com and they are defective, but they can't even pay my shipping back for the defective product that they sold me.

This intereting part is that when you buy from Boostmobile.com, Boost completes the sale thru a third party company named Brightpoint in Indiana. Now I have to deal with a third party to get my money back. It is this third party that will not pay my return shipping.

Do yourself a favor, buy Boost phones from Amazon.com. Amazon is easy to work with if you have to send something back.

New Contributor

Another reason not to buy from Boostmobile.com. Brightpoint said once they recieve a returned phone it can take 8 weeks to get a refund.

Highlighted
New Contributor

A few days ago, Boost Mobile Tech Support called me to let me know that the solution to the problem is that I need new phones. The phones that I have were made with a Spint pin. A Boost Blackberry has a pin that has letters in the pin. Since my Blackberry does not have any letters in the pin, it was made incorrectly and I need to return both phones to Brightpoint then order new phones.

I did not have confidence in this because I assumed my odds were pretty good to get two more of the same thing since I originally got two phones with the same issue. But after 10 calls to Boost, hours on the phone with clueless people, and not getting anywhere, I didn't see any other choice.

Last night, I got a call from Boost Mobile Tech Support to troubleshoot this problem. I told the person that I was told the phones were made with a Sprint pin and I needed to get new phones again. He was suprised to hear this, then told me that this was not correct. He asked if I was OK with him switching my plan to a different plan then return it back to my orignial plan. This was supposed to make their system go thru the BBM activation two more times to get BBM activated.

It worked!

Here are some things that I learned about Boost Mobile Tech Support:

1) The people that you talk to are not technical. In fact, they quite clueless and do their best to avoid bothering the limited staff of engineers. At best, they are a go-between to the engineers.

2) If you cannot get a resolution after hours on the phone, insist that a "ticket" is written on your problem and write down the ticket number.

3) Make sure you get the ticket number. If you don't, there is a high possibility that they told you they wrote a ticket but did not. For some reason, they really do not want to write a ticket. I had to insist on talking to the supervisor to get a ticket started. This was my 6th time that I called for support and there was no record started yet.

4) Make sure they have written all the information about the problem on the ticket. The supervisor wrote the ticket as my phone did not have cell service. When I called the next day to inquire, I had the person read the ticket to me and I found my BBM problem was not recorded.

5) Make sure the information in the ticket is to the point. The engineers use this information to give tech support more ideas on how to solve the problem. Then tech support will call you to try the engineer's idea. Remember, tech support is a go-between to the engineer. If tech support writes a poor description in the ticket, the engineer will not be able to give good advice.

6) If not ticket is written when you get off the phone and the problem is not solved, then you will have wasted all your time on the phone. Next time that you call, you will start all over again. This took me five calls until I discovered this.

7) the clueless tech support give false information that they beleive is true, but you have no idea if it is true or not. Then you call back another day, then the next person that you talk to will disagree with what the previous person said. Then you call back another day, and you get yet another contradiction. I could not get over how much this occured.