Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange UK

Bought a brand new BB Bold...

Hi, hope you guys can help.

I bought a new BlackBerry from eBay (from a trusted seller), their reason being that they did not want it. I bought it for a bargain, and true enough it was brand new.

I put in my Orange SIM card and it booted up OK, but when I went to dial numbers I noticed a "+8" at the start of every number - looking online I could see that apparently you need to set the OS to your local area, the "+8" is a Chinese code, so the phone must have originated there. There is also problems sending texts as they don't arrive, and also sometimes the WiFi connects but it says "network can't be found".

So how do I change to the UK OS settings? Is there a way to do this? Everything else on the phone is completely fine. 

Thanks,

Lee

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Bought a brand new BB Bold...

[ Edited ]

Hi mcg88able

Welcome to the Community

Please Check and enter Correct field on Smart Dialing options ,To do that

Press the Image of the Send key key > Image of the Menu key key > Options > Smart Dialing  > on that screen check your  Country Code and also  Area Code fields ,In the National Number Length field, set the default length for phone numbers in your country Then pess the Image of the Menu key key and Save .

Please try it and see if problem resolves.

Prince

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi prince2012,

Thanks for your help. I've done that but the problem is with setting up email and me being able to send texts but them never being received at the other end. There are also issues with mobile internet and WiFi sometimes is a bit dodgy. It's a brand new BB but when I tried to dial a +8 prefix came before the numbers - checking this it means the phone was bought in China and then sold on eBay to me in the UK. Someone suggested it may be Orange UK I need to contact in relation to service issues? I think it was called setting up BIN... or BIS... BIS I think it was. Do I need to contact Orange for this? The reason why I bought a new Bold is because my old one died and wasn't insured, I bought this one unlocked thinking it would be OK to just insert my SIM card - but as it's BlackBerry do I need to register it with my carrier or something?

Thanks,
Lee

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Hi mcg88able

If it is an Unlocked device  you need to Contact Orange to activate a BlackBerry Data Plan also known as BIS on your Account ,It will allow you to use all those services of blackberry like Personal emails ,BBM ,Twitter,Facebook for BlackBerry and many more. 

So first Contact Orange and make sure BIS is activated on your account.

Prince